Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2003 - Email from other addresses

Hi Guys,

I've just installed Exchange Server 2003. I have been using 602 Software's Lansuite prior to this as my email server.

The problem I'm having with Exchange is that I can't seem to sent emails from from addresses other that my AD accounts i.e say I have two AD user accounts, one called user1 and another called user2 and my domain name is mydomain.com, these two accounts are mailbox enabled and can sent and receive emails to/from [email protected] and [email protected], but I have a number of other email addresses that I would like to email from so it looks like the email has been sent from that address rather than user1/[email protected], such as [email protected] (my gmail account)

I've tried adding new user accounts to AD and mailbox enabling them for the email addresses that I want to sent from and then granting the send right to users1/2 and then putting the email address in the from: box in Outlook but this doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know of a way in Exchange 2003 or is there a tool available for Exchange that will allow me to achieve the above goal?

Basically I would like to have the option to sent mail from an email address other than my AD user accounts like you can in Outlook when using POP3 access, you can select to send email from any email accounts that are sent up. I can do this in Lansuite no problem, but Exchange will not play ball.

Many thanks in advance,

Tel

Re: Server 2003 - Urgent help required.

Wow, a lot of thought went into that title. It is sure going to attract lots of readers with such a zippy descriptive summation of your problem.

Did you not read the posting rules about thread titles? Stupid question me, obviously not.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Exchange Server 2003 - Email from other addresses

I'm sorry about that mate. I've remedy this title now.

Please does anyone know the answer to my original post.

Many thanks,

Terry

Comment

A quick google search came up with a product that does this, I searched for "ChooseFrom for MS Exchange 2000/2003" but there may be a native way to do it within Exchange that i don't know about - there are always people cleverer than me on this forum!
        Last edited by PaulH; 22nd March 2007, 13:27. Reason: Product link removed.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Many thanks mate, I look into the ChooseForm and hopefully that will do what I want.

BTW is there anyway to use my ISP's email server to relay email sent from exchange rather that exchange directly sending out emails to the internet directly via smtp?

Many thanks in advance,

Tel

Comment

You need to know about Smart Hosts, so do please do some research on the web, but basically these will get you started:

in Exchange Manager, go to Connectors Right click, New > SMTP Connector and on the General tab do this:

Either: Use DNS to route each address space on this connector,

Or: Forward all mail through this connector to the follwing smart hosts
            Address Space > Add (# ie. add a new SMTP connector, and add a new SMTP type address space with the wildcard asterisk (*) here. In the new SMTP connector's properties, Advanced tab, specify the Outboud security for SMTP authentication.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

By the way, you won't have to add a new SMTP connector if you already have one - just edit the existing one.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

If you don't control the domain that you are trying to send the messages as, then what you are trying to do is called spoofing and will get you flagged as a spammer.

Furthermore, if the domain isn't in recipient policy, then Exchange will not allow you to send email as that domain. You don't want to put gmail.com in your recipient policy.

My instinct reply would be to tell you to route emails for domains that are not yourself through the ISPs server or through the email service providers server. This will ensure that you aren't flagged as spoofing.

Exchange cannot cope with selecting from a list of email addresses on your account - as far as Exchange is concerned you only have one email address - the default one. The way round it is using multiple accounts, or as already outlined above, choose from. I have outlined them multiple accounts method here:
                http://www.amset.info/exchange/twodomainsoneuser.asp

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X