E2K3 Info Store Growing Exponentially after Transaction logs filled volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E2K3 Info Store Growing Exponentially after Transaction logs filled volume

I have a W2K3 Enterprise HP BLP20 blade w/ 8 gig of RAM, 40 gig hardware mirror for OS and a 400 gig SAN volume for data running E2K3 Enterpise SP1 on as a backend mail server. I have Cisco VoIP, Blackberry 4.1 integration and XMedius FAX integration on the main information store with two additional info stores for the east and west coast. I have a 860+ mailboxes total and unforunately a 550 meg. meg limit per mailbox. I have tried for years to get an HR and IT mail policy in place that was more realistic, but due to political opportunities, this has never came to pass. Well I have never been able to automatically purge deleted or junk mail and most of my mailboxes have gotten into the 300-500 meg limit on all the info stores and I was at 109 gig total for mail.

Well I backup every night and last Sunday my backend mail server crashed due to transaction logs cranking out every minute and filling up my C: OS system volume (I know this is not best practices, I gave up on trying to get more local storage for my transaction logs from my previous supervisor).

SO I put the Information stores into circular logging temp on the SAN volume and watched my transaction logs crank out every minute.

The next day I noticed my default information store was growing rapidly in size for no apparent reason. No I was not compromised, relaying, suffering from a virus scanner or experiencing hardware issues. I take great care and pride in having a 4 tiered defensive perimeter for e-mail cleansing/filtering with MS Intelligent Messaging filter being the last layer of defense/resort.

So my default info store went from 55 gig to 90+ gig in 36 hours and was growing exponentially (no huge mailboxes, forwarding issues, or looping rules, etc..). The other two info stores never changed in size. But this default
    info store (priv1.edb) had crashed twice on the previous e-mail admin and was originally migrated from Exchange 5.5, E2K and finally E2K3 Enterprise.

I created another info. store on the same server and started moving mailboxes off into the new store. Finally after 90% of the mailboxes were moved, the old store stopped growing at 100+ gig. The new store is at 15+ gig and I am ready to sacrifice the damaged store. I know I am out of spec on best practices for mailbox size, I run the on line defragging twice a week and it completes, but did I finally hit the straw that broke the camel's back ?

I know how to deal with the FAX stuff, but I forget the Cisco VoIP Unity tool needed to change the security/access on the new store for phone and voicemail integration. Where can I find that tool ?

Also, how do I make my new info store the default store for my backend E2K3 server ? I cannot think of a good reason to keep the old damaged store, can you ? Taking it off line and running the repair / defrag util seems like a waste of time at this point, I got my mailboxes off. If I delete the priv1.edb store, can I make my new store somename.edb the fefault store, rebbot and like is good ? Am I missing anything ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Re: E2K3 Info Store Growing Exponentially after Transaction logs filled volume

Long story, but I'll only answer parts of it. Others will probably fill in the gaps.

You do not need to do anything to the new store to make it "the default store". Just use it, and if the old store has no mailboxes in it you can either dismount it, or if you want to create it again, dismount it, delete the EDB and STM files, and then re-mount. It'll create new files, empty, to which you can then move mailboxes (if you so desire).

Get your mbx policy in place. Move the logs from the C drive to a different RAID1 array, separate from the store files.

Find out what caused the stores size to increase.

Run the online defrag process EVERY day, not just twice per week.

Get rid of the circular logging, unless you're keen on re-writing your CV...
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the info; if I deleted the default store / priv1.edb and allowed it be be recreated would it have the same ACLs / rights as the old one ? I am assuming it would inherit them from the storage group ?

To make it worse; my default priv1.edb info store started to grow again It stopped for 5 hrs after I moved all the user mailboxes off (including the blackberry stuff) and I just left the Cisco Unity VoIP mailboxes on the prov1.edb info store. Now I am upto 120 gig in a info store that has 8 odd mailboxes that are smaller than 10 meg in size. I see no traffic going thru the mail queues, nothing unusual with netstat -a or netstat -nob. No RBL blacklistings and the Cisco guys doesnt see anything unusual with port 25 traffic internally or on the ASAs.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The store will inherit the mbx permissions from AD, yes.

As for the growth of the original store - what AV are you using? If it's any sort of Symantec product, go flush it down the toilet. But in any case, make sure it's configured correctly.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: E2K3 Info Store Growing Exponentially AGAIN with a fresh priv1.edb

My problem has reappeared again!! I moved the last 4 odd mailboxes off (BES Admin, Operator, Unity Installation, Unity Messaging System -VOICEMAIL), dis mounted the priv1.edb store, renamed the huge corrupt files (edb & stm) and started with a fresh new priv1.edb. I waited 15 minutes, moved BES Admin back, waited another 15 minutes and repeated the process for each mailbox. Super small priv1.edb store; looked great. Went home, ate dinner, 4 hrs later; my freaking priv1.edb store is now 5 gig in size with nothing sizable in any of the mailboxes; how wierd!

Im somewhat of a SAV fan after growing up with Crapafee and watching them slowly run the product downhill over the years. Crapafee gets too many false positives with bad sig files. But I do hear some bad stuff about Symantec these days My problem with all of them is they are too dependent on signatures for detection. I am going with F-Secure on the next go around probably; at least they try looking for root kit detection better than the other two. I hear Trend is mostly owned by the nice comrades in the PRC; kind of having the fox guard the chicken coup. Anyways none of the SAV products have changed on this E2K3 backend server for 6 months (unless you count the DATs and engine updates)

SAV is configured correctly 10.1.396 corp and SMSMSE 4.64 (in fact I have extra dirs excluded a long time ago and have never had any issues since my one and only time). But I have just taken the "shotgun approach" in case and disabled SAV file auto protect from the console for a day.

Time to repeat the process again and wait a little bit longer before moving the mailboxes back on. If I can find the root cause of the issue and make the pain stop.... Any ideas ?

Comment

I cannot be 100% sure that the crappy SMSMSE is responsible for that, but it has happen on more times than they care to admit.

In any case, the version you're using is VERY problematic. If you insist on using them, at least go for the 5.X versions.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
            X