External OWA via IP address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External OWA via IP address

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to access OWA externally via the wan ip address of your network, and if yes how do I implement it?

so far i opened port 443 and 80 on my firewall and enabled port forwarding on my router for 443 and 80.

Re: External OWA via IP address

Well I will have to assume so much so if my answer happent to be not really understandably please let me know.

I assume this is a corporate env.
    I am assuming the email server is receiving emails from the outside & inside with no problem, also it can send out emails to outside and inside.
    I also assume you guys have a firewall (not the one on your personal router), and I also assuming you have installed SSL on your exchange server.
    If you have front end and back end servers you need SSL on your front end(s). If you have a ISA, that will make this whole thing really interesting.

You can not use WAN IP (internal IP) to access the exchange OWA from the outside, you need an external IP. If your email server can receive emails from outside, you already have an external IP that is pointing to the internal IP, ask your netowrk guy or firewall guy to open port 443 on the external IP of the exchange server for you. that will cure the problem.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by hyeongkim; 20th March 2007, 17:35.
    MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

hyeongkim,

I am assuming the email server is receiving emails from the outside & inside with no problem, also it can send out emails to outside and inside.

We currently only use it for internal emails

I also assume you guys have a firewall (not the one on your personal router), and I also assuming you have installed SSL on your exchange server.
      If you have front end and back end servers you need SSL on your front end(s). If you have a ISA, that will make this whole thing really interesting.

We do have ISA running, we used the internet configuration wizard to hopefully open the ports needed for owa in ISA

You can not use WAN IP (internal IP) to access the exchange OWA from the outside, you need an external IP. If your email server can receive emails from outside, you already have an external IP that is pointing to the internal IP, ask your netowrk guy or firewall guy to open port 443 on the external IP of the exchange server for you. that will cure the problem.

We want to use the external ip address to access OWA if it is possible

Comment

Thank you for the quick response, it is more likely you need to call your ISP and ask for a public IP and tell them to point that to your ISA, if you have a network team in your org, you can ask them to do it for you.
        Hopefully you have some one who know network and that some one might have some extra external IPs and give one to you. I am a sys admin not a network admin and I do not know what kind of devices you are using, so this is all I can answer. I am sorry.

Do you have a front end server?

Publishing Exchange 2007 OWA with ISA Server 2006
        http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...rver-2006.html

Configuring ISA Server 2004 as an Exchange Frontend Server in the DMZ
        http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...DMZ-Part1.html

Dual or Pass-Through Authentication in an Exchange 2003 Front-End/Back-End Setup
        http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...dBack-End.html

Providing E-Mail Defense in Depth for Microsoft Exchange with the ISA 2004 Firewall SMTP Message Screener
        http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...seindepth.html

Publishing Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access (OWA) with ISA Server 2000
        http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/pubowa2003toc.html

Thank you.

Comment

Do you have a front end server?

No we dont :/ and the network admins know nothing about owa thats why iam trying to get it to work

Comment

Ah, you do have a network admin, he does not necessarily know about the owa, just tell him to get an external IP and point that to ISA.
            And just telling himt that OWA is a web server, that will make him understand what it is.
            Configure the ISA to re-direct it to exchagne server, tell him you just need port 443 open. (If you installed a SSL cert, if not get one and install it)
            Update your external DNS too -> your network admin might know how to do it.
            He might want to open port 443 to out side from your internal exchange server port 443.

Hopfully it helps.

Thank you.
            Last edited by hyeongkim; 21st March 2007, 02:07.

Comment

Working...
            X