No announcement yet.

Shared Mailbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Mailbox

I want to open a shared mailbox for a department.
    I just want to give the users basic permissions, not full access.

So I opened a user with a mailbox.
    And then using my outlook, add the users to the mailbox.

Is there a way to add the users to all the subfolders of the mailbox at once?

If I have a mailbox with a lot of subfolders, I must change the permission at each one?

Re: Shared Mailbox

1. What do you mean by "give the users basic permissions, not full access"?
    What access or tasks do you want to permit or prevent?
    2. Maybe the next solution is better?:
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Delegate and from the outlook you can specify which folder should be visiable, you can select all folder too.
      MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Well, I'll try to explain

Let say I have a department who need a shared mailbox
        I want the users to be able to do everything they want to the mailbox, besides changing the permission.

So I created a user, with a mailbox.
        Opened it from my outlook as another mailbox.
        And changed the permission, so the department member's could access the mailbox.
        But in this way, I need to change the permission for every folder.

I'm looking for a way to give this department access in a more centralized way.

Under inbox they open many folders.
        And if a new user is joining this department, I have to add his permissions to every folder

Ah, that case, there are many way to achieve it, but this is what I usually do

Make a group, and add users to it. -> so in the future you just have to users to the group.
          You don't have to give access permisson on each folder, you can right click the Mailbox - xxxxxx <-user name and set the sharing permission
          or select the inbox and rigt click and set the sharing permission. (change sharing permission) add the group and give right permission. (outlook 2007)

Or you can right click inbox and go to properties and go to security and set them up.(outlook 2000), outlook 2003 should have similar feature.

good luck.
          MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

First of all, I'm using exchange 2003 with outlook 2003
            Second, the permissions on the mailbox level, doesn't affect the subfolders

What to do?

That's the way it works I'm afraid; permissions are not inherited. You have to grant permissions on each folder level that you want the other user to see/use.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Thanks to all of you

Is there no other tool for IT admin for this situation?