Exchange receives incoming mail but clients cannot connect to read it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange receives incoming mail but clients cannot connect to read it

I'm the very new, very inexperienced net admin for a small high school, and our Exchange server (set up by someone else (now gone) two years ago) was recently fried, losing everything on it. We have backups of the mail stores, but not the actual configuration that was making mail work. So now I'm trying to set up another machine to handle mail. So far, it receives incoming email (I can tell from the "Tracking" tool in the server manager), but I cannot for the life of me get Outlook to connect to it. OWA is also broken. All services report that they are running as expected.

The network topography:

We have DSL coming into an ISA server that acts as a firewall, domain controller, and dns server. That's connected to our internal network, which eventually gets to a machine called "Intranet," which, before the crash, was just a file server, the DHCP server, and a secondary DC. This is the machine onto which I've tried to install Exchange Server 2003. Both servers are running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

So, it seems like there's no problem actually reaching the exchange server. DHCP is still working fine across the network, and as I said, incoming mail is clearly getting to it. I have had to do a lot of hacking at the Active Directory to get it to forget about the old server, and I fear that I've screwed something up (or neglected to change something from the old server to the new server). Do I have to set something somewhere saying, "Hey, here's my exchange server, please connect to it?"

When I try to connect with Outlook: it CAN connect enough to resolve my name. That is, when I'm adding a new email account to Outlook, it asks for the exchange server and the user name, and it successfully validates the user name. However, after it gets to that point, it complains that it isn't connected to the exchange server and asks me how I could possibly expect it to work when it isn't connected to the exchange server!

When I try to connect to OWA (from inside): HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

I experimented briefly with configuring "Intranet" as a front-end server, but then had to change it back to get the RUS stuff working.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can check? I've been working on this for three days now and my brain is pretty burnt out. Thanks!

Re: Exchange receives incoming mail but clients cannot connect to read it

It seems that your network and AD is pretty screwed, and that you don't really know what's wrong and how to fix it.

While this *could* potentially just be a simple permission or AD tweak, in such cases I can only recommend that you invite a professional consultant or company to help you salvage what is salvagable, and if not, rebuild and restore, this time with good knowledge of what to do and while establishing good working procedures.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I am on a very limited budget, so hiring someone qualified to be doing what I'm trying to do is pretty far down the list of options. I have a lot more experience with linux, and switching to linux might be preferable to hiring someone (both because it would be cheaper (in money) and because suddenly the school would have an IT person that knows wth is going on.

But, of course, a transition to linux would be a pretty big pain for the staff here. Do you think it would be worthwhile to simply format this machine and start over, following instructions to install windows server 2003 and exchange by the letter?

Thanks again. It's nice just to tell all of this to someone who can do more than shake their head and say they're sorry I have to deal with this (I'm just supposed to be a math teacher, dammit!).

Comment

I've noticed that there are no mailboxes in the database called "Mailbox Store" except what I'm assuming are default SMTP, System Attendant, and SystemMailbox boxes. This seems like a likely reason for the almost-connecting behavior I'm seeing, so I'm hopeful that if I can get mailboxes mounted in this database I'll start to make some progress. However, running the windows restore program complains that the name of the server is different (that is, it's trying to restore \\OldServer\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store instead of \\NewServer\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (even though I asked it to restore on NewServer instead of OldServer).

Comment

Some success! I created a new account just to try a mailbox that was originally configured with the new server, and everything works perfectly! Well, OWA is not working, but Outlook connects, sends, receives mail perfectly.

So now I suspect that the only challenge left is to convince the server that all mail should be stored in mailboxes on the new server (every mailbox store listed in the AD still indicates that it is on the old server). However, I can't seem to move the mailboxes, as Exchange wants to copy them from the old server (which is dead). I need to have it copy them from the backup file I have. I'll start looking up various ways of importing mailboxes, but if anyone here happens to know how to do this, I would be elated

Thanks again!

Edit: PS: Can I just give the new server the name of the old server and restore from the bkf?
          Last edited by Riley; 19th March 2007, 16:48.

Comment

Hello
            It is too bad that you can't hire any help.

You should named the new exchange server as same as the previouse one, you should supply the same IP (static IP) as the previouse one.

and go to this virtual lab and learn about how to backup and restore, and more

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tra.../exchange.mspx

This is disaster recovery lab:
            http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/We...CountryCode=US

Hopefully this can help you.
            MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

hyeongkim,

Just renaming the server won't do, please do not post information that is not 100% accurate, as the readers might think that it is the full answer.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well my previouse answer was not clear, I admit.
                Here is what I am guessing.
                Since there is ISA server, it is most likely your predecessor did his/her job.
                Most firewall blocks outgoing email traffic (port 25) if it did not come from an email server. ISA also allows OWA access.
                You can fiddling with ISA server if you want and here is your options (I think, I don't really know your environment so you and I have to make lots of guess here)

Test your email, if email gets delivered to each others in your org, but gets blocked if you try to send to out side it gets blocked -> port 25 outgoing, it's blocked.

You can change the IP of the new exchange server to the one that used by the old exchange server. If ISA was not heavely configured that might let the emails out and allow OWA (I am assuming you used a different IP)
                You can go to ISA and let the ISA know about the new IP and server name. (edit)
                You can try to make another server with old server name and IP, backup and restore emails.

If you decided to use the new server name, every single user's outlook need to know the new server name.
                Each outlook has different way to set this up so I will tell you the quick and dirty way, Start -> Control Panel -> Mail -> on the profile, delete the current one and start the outlook, when you setup outlook, supply the new server name on the exchange server name field. This method will not work on VISTA.
                Last edited by hyeongkim; 20th March 2007, 17:38.
                MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your help - this is a great forum.

I've gotten the exchange server all the way up to the point of reporting a successful restore of the mail store. Unfortunately, it won't mount after that, saying "it is a database restored from a backup set on which hard recovery was not started or did not complete successfully." I've read through several MS pages and followed instructions clearly, which makes me think that something is basically, intrinsically wrong with the setup.

I am implementing a hack solution of going around to each user's computer, exporting the mail they received before the crash to a file, setting them up with a new account, and then importing the old mail. Unfortunately, several people with very important email only used OWA, so I can't do the same thing with them, and still need a way to get email out of this backup file. Extremely frustrating to have it so close and yet so inaccessible.

Comment

Working...
                  X