Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time required to move Exchange mail store?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time required to move Exchange mail store?

I have a 10GB mail store in Exchange 2003 that is filling up the partition. I recently installed a Dell PowerVault SCSI array to this server and am going to move the mail store and public folder store to a new drive on the PowerVault.

I was curious about a couple of things. (1) Does the process to replicate to the new drive take long? (2) Do I have any additional tasks to perform before I can delete the old stores and free up the drive space?

TIA
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Time required to move Exchange mail store?

Why can't you just mve the stores to the new array? If you do that from the store's properties page you won't need to manually delete any store.

Or where you talking about performing a move mbx operation? If the stores are healthy there is no reason for you to do that unless of course you also want to re-organize the mailboxes and so on.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That's what I plan to do, move the store to the new array. I was not sure if it was going to leave the original behind on the system partition. Here is the reason why:

The previous IT person started a new database on the same drive (for whatever reason) and it occupies a chunk of space. The store that is not being used is not in a state where it can be deleted because there are a couple of files with current dates.

One of the files is E00.chk and the other is tmp.edb. Both of these files have March 2007 dates, but the dates on the old mail store and public folder store in the same folder is February 2004.

Anyway, I made my start. I set up the new directory structure on the array, set the permissions, and now I just started a brick backup of all the mailboxes. I also have a good tape backup with Veritas.

Comment

A successful move!

My predecessor had created Exchsrv2\MDBDATA and there was also an Exchsrvr\MDBDATA. The database was in one folder with the transaction logs, but the system folder was the other MDBDATA folder.

It was all a little confusing having the two folders with both being active. I moved the mail store and public folders to the SCSI array along with the transaction logs. Microsoft suggest the transaction logs be kept on a different drive but I am confident of my backup.

I also edited the registry and pointed the Exchange working directory to my new location on the array. This found here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem
        Value name: Working Directory
        Value type: REG_SZ
        Value data: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata

Comment

The reason behind separating the stores from the log files is mostly due to performance issues.

Do it or be sorry, unless you only have a few active mailboxes.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That's a good idea. Further investigation uncovers what types of drives are better for the 'write load' of transaction files.

Microsoft suggests RAID-1 because RAID-5 is not as 'write friendly' for the logs. My SCSI array is RAID-5 so I am going to move the transaction logs back to the server.

Thanks for the pointer.

Comment

Working...
            X