• Show
Clear All

• Unable to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange 2003 Server

Cross posted to:
    microsoft.public.outlook
    microsoft.public.exchange
    Experts Exchange - http://tinyurl.com/ywwcdu
    Petri.co.il

I have a client who has just taken delivery of two new laptops running Windows XP Pro SP2 and Office 2007. All service packs and patches have been applied.

The server is a Windows 2003 SBS Premium, with all patches and service packs applied.

There are 6 existing XP computers running Office 2003 with no problems.

When I start Outlook 2007 for the first time, with no profile created, it tries to autodetect the settings for Exchange.

It detects the username and email address, when you click next it shows a green tick next to "Establish Network Connection", but a soon as it goes to the "Search for [email protected] server settings" step it throws an error message:

"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action."

If you click OK, it comes up with the standard Microsoft Exchange dialogue with the servername and mailbox name. The servername and mailbox name are filled in correctly, but neither of them are underlined.

If you click on "Check Name" you get the error message:

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".

If I choose to manually configure the Exchange settings, I get the same errors.

I have tried going into the "More Settings" area and choosing not to encrypt data, and also changed the Authentication to NTLM or Kerberos, but none of these settings do anything to help.

The computer originally shipped with Norton Internet Security, however this has been removed and replaced with Symantec AV Corporate edition. The Windows firewall has been turned off.

A search of the internet has proved fruitless, I have come up with:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927481
    This isn't the problem - there is no Exchange 2007 in the network and the registry key doesn't exist.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927612/en-us
    I have run SetSPN, everything appears fine in the output, plus there is only one server in the domain, so it doesn't seem like it would be a GC issue - all the roles are held by the one server.

http://tinyurl.com/yotejy
    This SBS newsgroup post seems to be my problem, but noone has solved it yet.

http://tinyurl.com/3avhl6
    Outlook newsgroup - I have killed the profile many times - no dice.

http://tinyurl.com/2rumep
    Outlook newsgroup - these guys have a similar problem, but they can get to the mailbox, they just get prompted for credentials sometimes.

The thing that stands out most for me about this problem is that the error is instant. You click on the "Check Names" button - the error is straight up - no delay. It is as if it isn't even trying to connect to the server, the same sort of behaviour I would expect if there was a firewall blocking it or something.

There are two new laptops with this exact same problem, so it isn't just one computer.

I have checked name resolution, network connectivity etc, all of these are fine.

Re: Unable to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange 2003 Server

Clayton -

Were you ever able to figure this one out? I've been following/contributing to the thread at...

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...postid=2271797

...but it's the same old story: the RPC DefConnectOpts key, blah blah blah.

NOTHING WORKS! This is a big problem. I'd love to hear if you got it, and how.

Comment

Does it have something to do with Outlook 2007 using Cached Exchange mode by default? What happens if you select the "manually configure server settings" and uncheck the "use cached exchange mode" box and manually configure Outlook?

Comment

Cached, non-cached mode, doesn't matter. Nothing works.

Comment

Bear with me on this one as it may not help or be related to your problem:

Go through the manual configuration again and Click the More Settings button and go to the Security tab then select the Always Prompt for Authentication setting and try again. This will force Outlook to prompt you for a username and password and you can verify that you are passing the correct credentials for the mailbox you are trying to connect to.

When you click More Settings you may get an error or get a username prompt, just cancel or close these if they pop up and continue to the Security tab.

Comment

No dice.

I think this is going to require a special fix from MS. I can't believe they are just letting this hang - this is their premier email server product and their premier email client.

Comment

There are no problems with Outlook 2007 connecting to Exchange 2003. It works fine. Therefore it has to be an error somewhere with either the server or the clients. It isn't a problem with the product.

If the machines are straight out of the box from the hardware supplier then the first thing I would do is wipe them.

I would also suggest that you review this posting on the Microsoft Exchange team blog about a feature in Windows 2003 SP2 which has caused problems.
              http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...18/446400.aspx

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I just virtualized an Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 Migration. I noticed this same exact issue. I had to go into the account configuration > security tab > change Negotiate Authentication to NTLM and it started to work. Makes me a bit worried to have to deploy Outlook 2007 before all their mailboxes are moved over.

Update: I just built a new environment and I tried this without SP2 on the Exchange 2003 server and same problem. I even tried updating the client machine that had Outlook with all the Office updates and still the same problem. If I changed the Negotiate Authentication to NTLM, it would work again. Seems like an odd problem.
                Last edited by Elan Shudnow; 27th October 2007, 18:15.

Comment

"If the machines are straight out of the box from the hardware supplier then the first thing I would do is wipe them. "

Think about that for a moment...

The machines come pre-loaded with Microsoft Office 2007, but you can't rely on it or use it. And, it can't communicate with Microsoft's own premier email system that it is specifically designed for. That's really great.

Besides...

It's a clean install of my own Enterprise copy of Office 2007.

I've tried NTLM authentication (and a million other things), and it still doesn't work.

I can ping the server, I can attach to shares on the server, read/write files on the server. XP/Outlook 2003 machines work fine, joined to the domain or not joined to the domain (using RPC over HTTP).

This product flat doesn't work.

One shouldn't have to "tweak" anything. This is Outlook 2007. We're connecting to a MICROSOFT Exchange server, not some unknown weird 3rd-party mailserver.

WHERE IS MICROSOFT ON THIS?!!!

Comment

Microsoft is nowhere on this, because Outlook 2007 WORKS with Exchange 2003. I'm using it at work, as are a large number of my colleagues. You have an issue with your configuration.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

That's the odd thing. We are using Exchange 2003 in production at my company right now and I've used Outlook 2007 on it with no problems. I just find it odd that I built two environments with Exchange 2003 right out of the box with Exchange SP2 on it and have had a lot of issues with Outlook 2007 on it as explained above. I've really made no configuration changes on it. 1 environment I did all the certificate configuration (which shouldn't have an issue) and 1 environment without. That's all I really changed configuration odd. This issue has me scratching my head. :/

Comment

An update. I've been using 2 systems in my lab. A dedicated DC and a dedicated Exchange 2003 box. I've been using Outlook 2007 on my DC and it's been failing. i decided to bring up a dedicated client machine (2003 R2/SP2) and try it on there and it worked just fine. Obviously you'd never use Outlook on a DC (at least I'd hope people wouldn't), but I was doing it on VM to try to consolidate things as much as possible due to the poor performance on my laptop. Clearly the reason why it wasn't working on a DC is due to the DC having stricter/different permissions/registry settings due to the DCSecurity.inf file being applied optimizing registry settings, file permissions, etc. when doing a DCPromo.
                        Last edited by Elan Shudnow; 29th October 2007, 20:32.

Comment

A "dedicated client machine"? 2003 R2 SP2?

A "dedicated client machine" would be using a Workstation OS... for instance Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well ya, of course. I meant it more figuratively as a client machine as in it wouldn't be running Exchange/DC and was going to just be running Outlook 2007 simulating a client OS connecting to a server to rule out if it was a DC issue due to a DC having more restrictive behavior.
                            Last edited by Elan Shudnow; 30th October 2007, 03:41.

Comment

Hey Stonelaughter, do you mind effing-off to another forum or post where you can actually add something constructive? If you want to just get your jollies off here, I suppose that's alright, however there are plenty of other areas on the internet for haughty types.

Now, let me quote you exactly: "Outlook 2007 WORKS with Exchange 2003."

That's pretty emphatic. You even used big letters to make your point. If it works...or should I say "WORKS" then why are so many people having a difficulty with it? Why is Microsoft posting the RPC regfix if it works? It clearly doesn't work for everyone. If you read the thread more carefully, you'd see that is the case. You may want to read this thread also:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...postid=2271797

You never mentioned the configuration you are using at your workplace. Are all the machines members of the domain? What about machines that are not part of the domain? Please, something constructive. Otherwise, EFF OFF!

Comment

Working...
                              X