Global Address List & Outlook Address Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Address List & Outlook Address Book

I seem to be really confused on all these address books that Outlook has going on. I understand what each of the address books are but what I want to be able to do is have all my contacts into one address book to look through. As it stands now there can be two different places for my contacts to be stored at.

Is there a way that this can be done?

Is this an improvement for Exchange 2007?

Thanks,
    Joey

Re: Global Address List & Outlook Address Book

You can use 5 kinds of place that can store contacts / Address Lists:
    1. Exchange GAL / Address Lists.
    2. Outlook contacts
    3. Personal (Outlook) address list.
    4. PST contacts.
    5. Public Folders contacts.

Every one of them has advantages / disadvantages and those are not going to change in Exchange 2007 - but you have the option to choose with which one of them you want to work with.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I see what you are saying about being able to place contacts in 5 different places. My problem is that I have users that want to be able to search all the different ones on one screen without having to click on the different address books.

I really think that the problem is that they are use to only having one address book (Outlook Express) and now that they can look in two different places and it's is confusing them.

When they see drop down the Address drop-box the see different books in there (Global Address, Outlook Address, and Contacts).

I guess there might not be any easy answer to all this, but if there is something simpler that I can do please let me know.

Thanks,
      Joey

Comment

You can set the order in which Outlook searches its address books. Always put the GAL last, because it's kind of a last resort. That way, it'll search your local and Mailbox address books first, and NOT time out - and if it can't find the recipient in there, it will search the GAL.

How to change this setting depends which version of Outlook you have because Microsoft can never seem to make up their mind where it goes; let us know and we'll tell you where to find the setting.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I will try this out and see if that works. I didn't realize that it could time out by having it search the GAL first.

Pretty sure I know where that setting at, if I have any problems I will post back.

Thanks for all your help.

Joey

Comment

Working...
          X