Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot telnet to port 25 on Exchange 2000

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the posts about this problem but I still can't seem to find a solution. Here is my setup...

I have a brand new Exchange 2000 Server w/sp3 running on Windows Server 2000 w/sp4. I was initially not able to telnet to the Server on port 25 both locally and from a workstation.

I have McAfee GroupShield 6.0 Installed but I don't have the Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0i. From the posts, I've seen that McAfee Virus Scan seems to be blocking port 25, however, it's not installed on the Exchange Server.

I check the configuration of the SMTP Virtual Server and under Access -> Connection Control, I added my entire scope of IPs as allowed. (I even tried not using anything and leaving it default, this did not work either).

After I added my scope of IPs, I was able to telnet from the Exchange Server onto itself locally. I still can't seem to telnet into the Server from any other workstations or servers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Cannot telnet to port 25 on Exchange 2000

Originally posted by kaash View Post
    I have a brand new Exchange 2000 Server w/sp3 running on Windows Server 2000 w/sp4.
    Bit behind the times arn't you? - Any reason why you didn't use 2003 Server with Exchange 2003?

What happens if you disable all AV - can you telnet to port 25 on the server. This will just rule out if the problem is definately Mcafee

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

haha, brand new was being sarcastic

anyways, i disabled all the mcafee services and tried telnetting and same thing, connection to host lost.

Comment

Anything in between the host and the server i.e. router, switch, seperate vlans etc?

Is smtp connector actually listening on port 25? If you run "netstat -a -n" does it show that it's actually listening on port 25?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Nope, nothing between.

I did the netstat -a -n and i'm not seeing anything listening on port 25, however i'm sending and receiving mail normally. I just can't get to telnet.

What settings do i need to check to ensure that SMTP is listening on port 25?

Comment

Are you sending mail externally fine???

Doesn't make sense

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Yeap, mail is going out externally fine, and coming in internally fine.

It's this darn telnet i can't get to work....*sigh*

Comment

Working...
              X