Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA problems

Hi,

For the first time i setup my Exchange 2003 server.
    The most imported thing is to use OWA.
    I have my own domain( amvejo.nl) and wil use it for my mail
    For example [email protected]
    Now i have two problems:
    1: wich internetadres must i use for my webmail?Intern works fine (http://localhost/Exchange)

2: With [email protected] i can send email to others (hotmail.com,planet.nl etc etc)
    But i can't receive any message.
    Can someone help me please.
    I use the webmail wizzard in Exchange.

Regards,

John

Re: OWA problems

You need to RTFM.

In order to get mail from the outside world you need to set up your SMTP domain with an MX record (probably mail.yourdomain.com), and configure the FW to pass through TCP 25 traffic to the internal mail server (or mail relay if you have any).

To reach your OWA from outside you will need to go to the external FQDN of the server (or front end server if you have any), which in your case might be the same as the MX record (assuming you only have one server). You should also configure the FW to pass through TCP 80 and/or 443 traffic to the internal mail server
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi, This could potentially be a very big topic, so let's start off with an outline of what needs doing and maybe we can help a bit along the way:

(1) Does your internet connection have a fixed IP address? If so, you can type that in for example as http://123.213.1.2

For this to work, your router will have to have port forwarding to redirect ports 80 and 443 onto the Exchange server's IP address.

(2) I would guess you need to use the POP3 downloader that comes with SBS2003, but if you do not have SBS2003 and have Exchange instead, which is likely from your post, you may want to have your MX record pointed to your public IP address. Again, you'll need a fixed public IP address for this to work and port forwarding of port 25 to point to your server. if you do have SBS2003, POP3 downloading is a way to fetch mail from your ISP.

As I said, what you're asking could be a huge amount of information, so let's just try to establish these basics first, and if you are not comfortable with fixed public IP addresses, or Port forwarding, you may well need to pay someone for consultancy to get your server setup the way you need.

I hope some of this helps a bit.

Oh, and when I say "Port Forwarding" I also mean that to cover "Open Ports" too. they're subtly different... can explain if required.

EDIT>> from the times on Daniel's and my posts, I can see he has posted his while I was typing mine! So, really, we are saying essentially similar things here, let me know some feedback on these and we'll take it from there.
      Last edited by PaulH; 2nd March 2007, 17:42. Reason: Acknowledge Daniel's post
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thank you for your quick answers.
        Yes, i have a fixed ipadres.
        I have DMZ enebled on my router, so all ports are open.
        I have mailrelay enabled (using an document of my ISP)
        I have Win2003 Enterprise R2 edition.
        I create a MX record on the DNS server pointing to the servers ipadress.

To Danielp.

YES, I HAVE READ TFM. but sometimes in need some extra help, thats why are forums for!?!

Comment

Johnnyboy, where is the MX Record. On the DNS server doesn't tell us much. Is this your internal DNS or your ISPs (external) DNS?

And please do NOT SHOUT. It can upset people. Thank you.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok, i'm not shouting anymore, i didn't mean it that way. Sorry for that.

The record is created on my dns server:
            (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) [10] srv-2.jvm.local.

Comment

The MX Record has to go on an external DNS server. How is the world supposed to find the MX Record if it can't access your internal DNS server?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Also, Johnnyboy2, when you get your MX record setup on your ISP's name servers, it'll point to your public IP address, so the world will know where your Exchange server is just as the good man Biggles77 has explained, now there will be two other issues - I'll talk about sending outgoing mail first:

Now, your public IP address may be static, but here in the UK there is often a problem with static IP addresses and this problem may well occur in your country. When people reverse lookup your IP address, they need to see a resolution to a fixed name. Sometimes, and here I emphasise I'm talking about the UK, even a static IP address can resolve back to a dynamic pool of addresses. So, when you send outgoing mail by DNS (rather than by smarthost), if the recipient does a reverse lookup on your IP, he gets a dynamic response. Not good, sohis server may refuse to receive you mail because it does not reverse lookup properly. What we have to do is ask the telco nicely to add a PTR record so that reverse lookups work ok.

If you would like to, post us your email domain name and the public IP address and I can check it out. I will also telnet to port 25 on the Exchange server for you and make sure you're not an open relay. I don't think posting that info is a security risk, because anybody who received an email from you will have that information. It's your call, but I'll help if you wish to provide us with that info. Do bear in mind though that when you ask your ISP to add the MX record for you (and possibly ask the telco to add the PTR record), it may take a day or two to propagate amongst all the nameservers in the world, so you may have to wait a little while.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

I said earlier there's 2 other issues - the other issue I'm thinking about is what happens when your Exchange server goes down? If all the world thinks your domain email is hosted at your public IP address, by virtue of there being an MX record on the public name servers, if your Exchange server goes down for whatever reason, people sending you mail are not going to be very happy. So, there is often a good reason to have a secondary MX record that points to a service which will silently spool your email, shielding the sender from any fault message, and when your Exchange server comes back up, the secondary MX service hands all the mail to you and those senders are unaware there was ever a problem.

Best wishes to you and very good luck on your journey in getting Exchange mastered!
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Well, i'm very glad that i get some help. My domain is www.amvejo.nl and my public adress is 62.131.2.56.
                  I try to understand Exchange but sometimes it's hard to understand what they mean.
                  But again, thanks for any help.

Take care and have a nice weekend,

John

Comment

OK, that's good - now have you asked your hosting company to add an MX record for you to the public name servers? Sometimes you get a control panel to do this yourself.

When that's done, let us know and then we all have to then wait a day or two for it to work.
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.

Comment

Actually you can check it immediately. Get someone who uses the same external DNS Server (the same ISP) as you to send an email. Since the MX Record will be on their DNS, it (the MX Record) should be active just after input.

Or try and access OWA from outside your network, again through an account on the same ISP.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Actually you can check it immediately. ...
                        Very true, Biggles77, and we ourselves can do it by using nslookup and setting our name server to ns0.transip.net then looking up the MX type for his amvejo.nl

...or at least I think that technique works. Anyway, I'd like to know when Johnnyboy2 has actually asked transip.net to alter his MX record so that he can see how it all follows through, step-by-step, as by his own admission it's all a bit confusing at first. SO, when he's done that, we can help his understanding of MX records and he can see how it affects things.

Best wishes to y'all,
                        Best wishes,
                        PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy2 View Post
                          I have DMZ enebled on my router, so all ports are open...
                          Currently, only your ports 21 (FTP), 80 (HTTP) and 110 (POP3) are open.

You'll need to open port 25 for that MX record to work. Let me explain the process as it's your first time with Exchange: what happens is that when someone sends you an email, their email server will lookup your domain name and query the public name servers for your MX record, which will tell the sending server to send the email to your public IP address. OK so far? Now, the sending email server will then say "HELO" to your exchange server on port 25 and so unless port 25 is open, you won't get any mail.

After the conversation has started with a "HELO", the servers will talk to each other a bit and the email gets tansferred from the sender's mail server to your Exchange server. Until you open port 25 that conversation just can't happen.
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                            OK, that's good - now have you asked your hosting company to add an MX record for you to the public name servers? Sometimes you get a control panel to do this yourself.

When that's done, let us know and then we all have to then wait a day or two for it to work.
                            Ok, i create a MX record. I have my own control panel to do it.

Comment

OK, thsat's good - we're getting there. I think you've got too many MX records - you don't want this one that you added:

amvejo.nl. MX IN 60 www.amvejo.nl. [Preference = 10]

I'll have a closer look whenI get a bit more time, to check your whole DNS setup is ok, and I'll let you know.

And you've still got to open up port 25 ! I checked just now and it is still closed.
                              Best wishes,
                              PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                              X