Exchange, Outlook and Business Contact Mgr connection problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange, Outlook and Business Contact Mgr connection problem

Hi - at work we use a remote Exchange 2003 Server....we have 6 Windows XP PC's with Outlook 2003 and Business Contact Manager that use the Exchange Server for email and calendar. The Business Contact Manager database is local, and we are not using RPC over HTTP for Exchange.

Anyway, on one of the 6 PC's, I have been getting the "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" pop up message in Outlook. Whats strange is that Outlook says "Connected" in the lower right hand corner when the pop up message shows up, and email will sometimes even be working. But when "the Exchange Server is unavailable", you cant add, print or edit a record in Business Contact Manager, and you cant print email messages....

I have searched the Microsoft KB and what I found there didnt solve my problem. I have checked and double checked my firewall, my DNS settings, my email account settings on the PC in question.

Another strange thing - when this "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" message happens, if I put Outlook offline for about a minute, and then put it back online again, things *sometimes* work again. But it seems to be a random problem - I get the pop up message saying Exchange is unavailable, I fix it by putting Outlook offline, and then then next time I reboot the problem begins again.

I have also noticed that right clicking on my NIC in Network Connections and clicking "repair" will also usually fix it....which indicates maybe it is a DNS problem??

I have tried other things too to solve this. I have reinstalled Outlook and Business Contact Manager, and even reinstalled Windows. All of my other PC's that use Exchange are configured identically to this PC, so I dont understand what is going on to cause this. I have experienced this on some of my other PC's in the past, but reinstalling Outlook fixed it in those cases.

This is very frustrating, because I have been fighting this on and off for weeks now. And it is especially fristrating because several times I have seemingly fixed it, only to have the problem recurr after a reboot. Outlook/BCM should not be so fragile that it goes from working to broken just by rebooting it.

So please help if you have any ideas!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!! !
    Mike
    Last edited by boeckelr; 1st March 2007, 22:46.

Re: Exchange, Outlook and Business Contact Mgr connection problem

Any Sync or Event Viewer errors?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Just EventID 25 in the Event Viewer...

"The Connection to the Exchange Server us unavailable..."

I reinstalled TCP/IP - and after I did that it worked for a while...but the problem eventually returned.

See this is my bosses laptop. Several times I have given it back to him saying it was fixed, only to have him give it back to me saying the problem has returned. Like I said, I have tried everything - including reinstalling XP. Anyway after I reinstalled TCP/IP I restarted the laptop a bunch of times, closed and opened Outlook etc, and it worked solid for a while...but of course the problem came back.

You did mentioned a Sync error...would I see that in a log or in the pop up that shows the progress?

Comment

Is it using a wireless connection?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

"Is it using a wireless connection?"

No, and none of the other PC's that we have that use Outlook/BCM/Exchange connect wirelessly either.

What really puzzles me is the transient nature of this problem - I can have Outlook working fine, connecting like it should to the Exchange Server....then out of the blue I will start seeing the "connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" pop up.

I have recently discovered that I can get Outlook working again by closing Outlook down, and then repairing the connection/interface in Windows, and then starting Outlook again. When Outlook is started again it usually connects to Exchange Server like it should.

Does this give anyone any clues to what could be causing this?

Comment

How are you connecting to the remote Exchange 2003 Server? Sorry, fishing for clues. If anyone else wants to jump in, please do so.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              How are you connecting to the remote Exchange 2003 Server? Sorry, fishing for clues. If anyone else wants to jump in, please do so.
              T1 line....and we are *NOT* using RPC over HTTP.

hope that helps.

Comment

Still do not know how you are connecting to Exchange. I do know it is not RPC over HTTP(S)!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X