Online Defragmentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Defragmentation

I'm currently doing a little research on it, I'm not too sure where or how to check whether the online defragmentation is running on the exchange. What I know is that it takes longer than hour for some reason and it terminates and never complete the task.

My question is - how do I check if it's running.
    - how do you check the setting?
    - what could cause such a long time to run the online defragmentation?

It will be great if anyone can help me.

Re: Online Defragmentation

1. The online defrag is stopped if backup runs on the same hours (default 1:00 am to 5:00 am - verify that the backup is running during this time).
    2. About the configuration of online defrag: check the next chapter - "9. Ensure that online maintenance runs" in the next link:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...nce-Part2.html
    3. What does the online defrag does? see the link above (chapter 9).
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

I've checked out that it's running but I saw something in the application log that I wasn't too sure if it's correct.

from that sites I figured that Event ID 700 saying that it starts and 701 tells me that it's finished. But it seems that in the exchange it does 700 than 701 [start and complete] in about 30min interval which is fine but it does that form 6am until 6pm and at 7pm Event ID 704 which is telling me that it has been interrupted as the Backup starts to kick off at around 6:30~7pm everyday.

Event ID 700:
      "Information Store (5472) First Storage Group: Online defragmentation is beginning a full pass on database 'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.EDB'.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp."

Event ID 701:
      "Information Store (5472) First Storage Group: Online defragmentation has completed a full pass on database 'D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub1.EDB'.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp."

In the 12 hour interval it doesn't seem to be finish... any ideas what could be wrong? As no backup process is running during that interval.
      Last edited by lucifer82; 5th March 2007, 01:59.

Comment

I would suggest you check the next issues:
        1. AV scan - what times?
        2. Check the performance of the Exchange server between those hours (6pm-6am).
        In the online defrag, the CPU utilization is increased by 30% sometimes.
        CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
        Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

Working...
        X