Opening Attachments is slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Attachments is slow

Exchange 2003 SP2, Outlook 2003 patched fully (actually it's SBS, but not relevant)
    Users both on the LAN and when an external user uses POP3, complain that e-mails with attachments are slow to open (even 15K attachment can take up to 2 minutes).
    I tried sending and downloading an attachment by OWA and it downloaded at about 31KB/sec for 1.5 Mb so it seemed reasonable.
    It may be (Symantec) virus checking that is causing this or a desktop indexer (such as Google Desktop) but I don't have access to the desktops currently to check this.
    Does anyone else have any other ideas?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Opening Attachments is slow

AV and especially Symantec is a very reasonable reason for such case.
    I suggest you stop the AV on the Exchange server - just for testing.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

What version of Scamantec A/V is it running? Has the Network Scanning been disabled?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

AV is 10.1 - but the external POP3 client is using lord-knows-what and is also complaining whilst his Yahoo mail is OK. I wonder if it isn't a patch or something server side, anyway!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X