Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd exchange server not receiving emails

Hello,

I'm a Exchange 2k3 newbie with no prior experience in Exchange. Company decided to deploy exchange so I had to make do and learn it quickly.

I had successfully installed and tested single Exchange 2003 server in a test environment and deployed it into our production network (Wind2k3 SP1) for further testing.

I decided to install a 2nd exchange server in our smaller office with approx 30 users. We have a 256kbps WAN link between the offices in a single domain with 4 DCs and GCs (2 DCs in each site and all DCs are GCs). With the 2nd exchange server in the other site, I can't seem to receive emails at all, both from the main site or externally.

Only the emails from mailboxes on the 2nd exchange server can be received. That means only users on the 2nd exchange server can receive each other's emails but not from external sources or from the main site.

AD Replication is all fine according to replmon and I have rebooted both the exchange servers. I have not reboot all the DCs and GCs though.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Re: 2nd exchange server not receiving emails

If this helps, I get this message (approx 2hrs later) from 1st exchange server when trying to send an email to users located on the 2nd exchange server in the remote site:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients

Comment

Managed to solve the problem with help from people on the internet.

Problem was that I had a Smart Host on the SMTP Virtual Server of the 1st exchange server.

Had to remove the Smart Host from the SMTP Virtual Server. Then create an SMTP Connector in the Routing Groups. Set the 1st Exchsrvr as Local Bridgehead, and for Smart Host, use the one I had in the SMTP Virtual Server before.

Comment

Hey here is some info for people that are having probs moving one exchange 2003 to another exchange 2003 on new hardware.

Here was my setup for outgoing (well it works sooo hmm yea)
        Exchange -> ASSP -> Postfix -> ASSP -> Internet
        Smtp Port:26 Port:26 Port:2525 Port:25

Incoming is a little different
        Internet -> ASSP -> PostFix -> Exchange
        Port:25 Port:2525 Port:26

Then I brought up a new exchange server called MSEXCHANGE it also uses port 26 for its default SMTP server. And this is how you get them BOTH to work seemlessly with the same domain name, and all this CRAZY linux stuff in front of it.

Make a Connector to send mail out
        Name:ToLinuxBox
        Smarthost:[TYPE IP OF LINUX BOX HERE] for instance if I had my linux boxes as 10.10.3.2 I would put [10.10.3.2] (with the brackets yes) as the smarthost to send to
        Bridgehead:Exchange Default SMTP Server (this is your original box)
        Address Space: *
        Cost: 1

Now Make a Connector From the new Server MSExchange to the Old Server Exchange
        Name:NewToOld
        Smarthost:[IP OF OLD EXCHANGE SERVER]
        Bridgehead:MSExchange Default SMTP Server (this is your newbox)
        Cost: 2

Now Make a Connector From the Old Server Exchange to the New Server MSExchange
        Name:NewToOld
        Smarthost:[IP OF NEW EXCHANGE SERVER]
        Bridgehead:Exchange Default SMTP Server (this is your old)
        Cost: 2

Now, anyone you move over will still get emails from the old server, and emails from the Internet as well. Any questions, e-mail me at [email protected]

Hope this helps people.

Comment

Working...
        X