Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IISreset

Hello guys,

I need help here. We are currentlly running windows 2003 w/latest SP and Exchange 2003 w/sp2. We having this intermitting problem with our mail server.
    Here's the problem, in every few days, our Information store will hang, all our users cant rec'v any email. We can send out, but dont know if went out or not. We dont even rec'v any local email neither.

Now, here's the weird thing. if I enter "IISRESET" on the command line it stop and restart the service, everything back to normal. Why this happend?
    I have AV program running and no we dont have any virus.
    Anyone can help, I reallly appreciated.

ken

Re: IISreset

IISRESET will restart SMTP as well as the WWW service (OWA).

Are you using OWA? I'm betting SMTP is the issue.

I'm not an Exchange guy so one of our experts can jump in and save me.

Google on some combo of

iisreset exchange smtp "information store" hang
    and see what you find.

Here is a link on IISReset that caught my eye:

http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/004/iisreset.htm
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I dont know whats really causing it. If I "IISreset" it works fine.
      If I try to stop the SMTP on the Services , it will hang and same goes with Information Store. If I know those 2 services get hung. Thats when I use the IISreset to do the job.

See, right now everything is work fine and dandy, I'm going give another few more hours and see if hang or not. Standy by.

Comment

Problem is, MS intertwines so much crap into a single process you can't kill SMTP by itself as there is no SMTP.EXE -- it's all InetInfo.EXE

So not an OWA site? Any other IIS "stuff" (SharePoint, Frontpage, ASP.NET, WWW, NNTP, FTP too) happening on this server?

Also, any timing issues when it fails and when you backup? Locking a file till something craps out?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          Problem is, MS intertwines so much crap into a single process you can't kill SMTP by itself as there is no SMTP.EXE -- it's all InetInfo.EXE

So not an OWA site? Any other IIS "stuff" (SharePoint, Frontpage, ASP.NET, WWW, NNTP, FTP too) happening on this server?

Also, any timing issues when it fails and when you backup? Locking a file till something craps out?
          Oops, I missed that part. Yes, we do have OWA running as well.
          (No "www,nntp,ftp,frontpage,sharepoint,asp.net" are runnnig).

My backup doesnt start till 11:30pm from Mon to Friday..
          Oh wait, let me show this screen shot. Whats these about?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ter/sysMan.jpg

Comment

And it doesn't fail @ 23:30 +/-, correct?

Now you're well past my level of Exchange expertise. We'll need to wait till the Exchange gurus check in.

As a scientific method kind of guy, what's your MTBF? Short enough to run an experiment like disable OWA and see if the problem goes away?

That's all I have to offer for the moment.
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick for trying.
              Dam thing doesnt register any error on the Event Viewer. Mystery to me.

Comment

What else is on the machine?
                That is classic sign of something hanging on to the process. AV is the prime suspect, particularly if it is produced by Symantec.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                  What else is on the machine?
                  That is classic sign of something hanging on to the process. AV is the prime suspect, particularly if it is produced by Symantec.

Simon.
                  Hey,

I have GFI MailEssential 11 and MicroTrend mail AV.
                  I stop the GFI MailEss and see if there any improvement.

Comment

Working...
                  X