No announcement yet.

Public Contacts Folder Monitoring for Edits

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Contacts Folder Monitoring for Edits

This may belong in the Outlook 2000/XP/2003 forum, but since this function seems to affect both ends of things - I'll try here!

The scenario:
    I've created a public folder Master Contacts list, set the appropriate permissions, set up individual user's Outlook client to have this folder in their Favorites (and to synchronize for offline use). Everything works seamlessly - users are able to access, add, edit and delete as required by executive management directive.

Here's the rub:
    Now executive management wants to be able to see who performed the last edit on a contact. I have the Outlook client views customized to display "Created" and "Modified" fields - so part of the mission is accomplished. Unless I'm missing it, that field is not available "stock."

What I've done so far:

I've searched Microsoft Knowledge Base/Technet, Google (Web and Groups) and a whole slew of tech forums - no luck. I've found some great information, but most of it seems to "dance around" my issue without quite hitting it!

Any ideas? I'm not averse to a third party solution, but my gut says there's a way to do this with my existing set of tools.

My network environment:
    Small Business Server 2003 (Exchange Server) - SP1, current on patches
    (3) Server 2003 (database, SONET monitoring, and VMWare test bed servers) - SP1, current on patches

Active Directory, DHCP, DNS

XP Pro - SP2 with Office 2003 Small Business Edition, current on patches

If I missed anything useful, please let me know.
    Last edited by smccray; 14th February 2007, 15:52. Reason: changing content slightly

Re: Public Contacts Folder Monitoring for Edits

There is nothing native that I can think of.
    Take a look at this tool though:
    It might do what you want - "Perform journaling to a public folder"

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Public Contacts Folder Monitoring for Edits

Thanks for your response - looks like an evaluation download is in the cards!

I'm still looking for a native/minimalist method - but it looks as if the software you mentioned might add an interesting feature set.

The existing fields "look like" they should do what I need, but alas, no such luck.

Thank you again for your assistance.