Event ID 9183 - MSExchangeAdmin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event ID 9183 - MSExchangeAdmin

Trying to install Exchange 2003 on 2000 server. This 2000 server is a member server for a 2003 domain. I am getting the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The description for Event ID ( 9183 ) in Source ( MSExchangeAdmin ) cannot
    be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
    or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
    following information is part of the event. The specified domain either does
    not exist or could not be contacted.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas...?

Re: Event ID 9183 - MSExchangeAdmin

Is the Windows 2000 installed with SP3 or higher? if not - this the problem.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by tkolber View Post
      Is the Windows 2000 installed with SP3 or higher? if not - this the problem.
      Windows 2000 has SP4. I installed ADC on 2003 DC and tried to set the 2000 member server on port 389 but when I clicked on "Step2" --> Run I get this:

"Could not connect to server "servername". Check port and/or server name.

Comment

Why did you installed ADC???!!!!!!! are you migrating from Exchange 5.5? if not - you don't have to used it....
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

Why did you installed ADC???!!!!!!! are you migrating from Exchange 5.5? if not - you don't have to used it....
          No I'm not, but what other option I have to run Forestprep since it is not communicating with the AD

Comment

1. Run them from the DC (most recommanded):
            http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...Explained.html
            2. Check with the next tools if there is any communication problems between the Exchange and the DCs:
            Netdiag, Nslookup, Dcdiag, replmon (replication between Dcs).
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

1. Run them from the DC (most recommanded):
              http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...Explained.html
              2. Check with the next tools if there is any communication problems between the Exchange and the DCs:
              Netdiag, Nslookup, Dcdiag, replmon (replication between Dcs).
              Thanks 2 things here:

1- 2000 Server is not a DC
              2- I ran netdiag and dcdiag and they came fine.

Now when you say run them from the DC do you mean I should run forest prep and domain prep from the 2003 Server instead of 2000 member server and then proceed with the exchange 2003 installation on 2000 member server?

Comment

Yap - Because those commands releated to the AD (Schema and groups creation) - the best is to run them on a DC
                Polycom Israel.

Comment

Yap - Because those commands releated to the AD (Schema and groups creation) - the best is to run them on a DC
                  Ok finally exchange got installed on 2000 member server however under Administrative Group it did not create server or any thing else.

Comment

If you ran only Forest and Domain prep, you will see the server only if you will fully install the Exchange - by running setup.
                    Polycom Israel.

Comment

If you ran only Forest and Domain prep, you will see the server only if you will fully install the Exchange - by running setup.
                      Here is the thing, I ran forest prep and domain prep on the 2003 DC. And tried to install Exchange on 2000 member server and that is what happened. Should I just install Exchange on 2003 DC, I know it is not a best practice but I'm running out of options here

Comment

1. Do not install the Exchange on the DC - not recommaneded as you know.
                        2. I didn't understand what error did you got when you installed the Exchange on the member server - you still can't see the servers?
                        3. Try the next:
                        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=13413
                        Polycom Israel.

Comment

Thanks tkolber for all your help unfortunately it did not work so here is what I did. I installed Exchange on 2003 DC for now and I will move it later on right now getting every thing up is important as we don't have much time.
                          Now I have another issue, they have sql 2000 running on another 2000 member server and after joining to the new domain it would not run. So I backed up all the new settings and restored all the old settings, joined that 2000 member server with sql server on it back to the old domain and it works.
                          Now I was thinking If I right click on the sql server group and change the user name and password for the "account that sql uses to run" from "Domain\Administrator" to just Administrator and the join it back to the new domain, would this work?
                          Sorry for a complicated scenario but I don't know much of SQL.

Comment

I don't know what was the problem installing the Exchange on Win2k, we all could help you ( I think ).

Anyway, about the second problem - I think you should open a new disscution in the right place.... (the moderators will not like it )
                            Polycom Israel.

Comment

Working...
                            X