Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC over HTTP with different domain names

Hi,
    I want to configure RPC over HTTP on my Exchange server, which is a single Exchange server behind my ISA firewall, my Exchnge server is also an additional domain controller with global catalog on it.
    The issue is that the Local domain name and Internet mail domain names are different.
    Do you have any solution.

Re: RPC over HTTP

I had the same problem and made a zone with the external domain on my internal DNS. This is working even if it's surely not the best way, it's the one that works.

Comment

Re: RPC over HTTP with different domain names

Originally posted by syed.wasay View Post
      Hi,
      I want to configure RPC over HTTP on my Exchange server, which is a single Exchange server behind my ISA firewall, my Exchnge server is also an additional domain controller with global catalog on it.
      The issue is that the Local domain name and Internet mail domain names are different.
      Do you have any solution.
      NOTE: Please select a better topic for your next post.

As for your question - I see no issue here. I'm running a similar setup right as we speak, nothing special. Just make sure that you get an SSL certificate that has the EXTERNAL FQDN of the ISA Server, and also use it on the RPC Proxy (in your case - the Exchange server).
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Petri, how are you, thanks for reply; Petri I am confused with a note written in your document named "Configure Outlook 2003 to use RPC over HTTP/S?" that

"Note: For LAN testing you CAN type the Internal FQDN of the server. For WAN connections you MUST type the External FQDN of the server. See Testing RPC over HTTP/S Connection for more on this issue. The external FQDN of the server is the fully qualified domain name that is used by the Outlook clients to connect to the server from outside the LAN, and must be resolved to the IP address of the server, or in most cases, resolved to the IP address of your Firewall (or NAT device) that is configured to transfer the requests to the internal IP address of the Exchange 2003 server."

I thank that we have to create two different prfiles in Microsoft Outlook, first for LAN using Exchange server local fqdn, and second for Internet using external fqdn of the mail server.

I have different Local domain name that is compayname.local so my Exchange server name will be mail.companyname.local, and Internet doman name is companyname.com so name on my MX record will be mail.companyname.com. So please explain me in detail how to configure RPC over HTTP with single profile in Micosoft Outlook.

I will be very very thank full.

Comment

If you carefully read the guide you'll see that you must configure the profile regularly, just like you would have done on the LAN. You use the INTERNAL SERVER FQDN on the main profile page (where you also enter the username), and use the EXTERNAL FQDN on the HTTP PROXY page in the ADVANCED part.

Look at the screenshots. What can be easier?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X