Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

    Ladies and Gents,

    I have got a weird internal mail routing problem, which I just can't seem to figure out. A small summary of my setup:

    - 4 Exchange 2003 servers running on Windows 2003, 1 in US and 3 in Europe
    - 4 routing groups, with routing group connectors in full mesh. Cost is 10 between sites in Europe and 50 for connectors crossing the Atlantic

    My problem is that mails from our headquarters in Denmark going to our seocond main office in US, goes through our small office in UK. Looking at routing group connector cost, it simply does not make sense:

    DK-US: 50
    DK-UK-US: 60

    I have verified with ping, telnet on port 25 and using WinRoute that all connectors LINK_STATE is up, so why does mail consistently take a more "expensive" route?

    I have tried lowering the cost between DK and US, but need to as low as about 15 before the right connector is chosen. This currently works for us, but routing messages according to connector cost is IMHO a core functionality, and I'm not very pleased with the behaviour I'm experiencing.

    Can anyone enlighten me?

    Best regards,
    Rasmus Rask

  • #2
    Re: Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

    Do you use SP2 and latest hotfixes on the Exchange?
    Best Regards,

    Yuval Sinay

    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

      Hi Yuval,

      All except UK are running SP2. I have scheduled an upgrade to SP2 for tonight, but looking at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906669, I don't really see any fixes related to message routing. Also, I would think my issue is on the Exchange in DK, as this is the server selecting the wrong route.

      Apart from service packs, all hotfixes but the following are installed (NL does not seem to be part of this routing issue, but still listed here FYI):

      KB924334: DK, US, NL
      KB912442: DK, US, NL, UK
      KB916803: NL, UK
      KB926666: DK, US, NL
      KB888619: UK

      - but again: none of these seems to deal with routing.

      Look forward to here from you.

      Best regards,
      Rasmus Rask
      Last edited by RasmusRask; 5th February 2007, 13:49. Reason: Forgot a line :o)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

        All servers are BTW fully up-to-date now.

        Any suggestions anyone?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

          Is this something that started to happen suddenly, or did it always behave like that? Also ,you say that you need to lower the cost to about 15 before it uses that connector. So why don't you do that and leave it like that?
          Cheers,

          Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Internal routing path wrong, connector costs not calculated correctly?

            I wasn't to pleased that routing did not obey the routing costs, that's why I wanted to find the cause and fix it .

            Anyway, our routing problems recently turned worse, where no mails from UK could get to US (very strange problem within one Exchange org. if you ask me! ).

            We also had issues I did not think could be related to this, where clicking the "DS Access" tab, on the UK server properties would give an error, and changing the path for tracking logs was impossible (error "The RPC server is unavailable, Facility: Win32, ID no: 800706ba, Exchange System Manager"). The exact same symptoms as posted here: http://www.mcse.ms/message771995.html.

            After analyzing the setup with different tools, looking up events, Googling and scratching my head, I found that one of the values for "networkAddress" in "CN=<UK server>,CN=Servers,CN=<Admin Group>,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<Exchange Org>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=reson,DC= root" contained a reference to our old AD domain name, before we renamed it.

            Correcting the value above correted my initial routing problem, the more serious one later and the two other errors mentioned above!

            Hope someone else can benefit from this information!

            Best regards,
            Rasmus Rask

            Comment

            Working...
            X