No announcement yet.

Exchange and Nokia

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange and Nokia

Our company uses exchange 2003 SP2. I`ve herd that it is possible to "push" mail on Nokia E-61.

Is it really possible and how do I do that. I have blackberry, and one user has this Nokia...

Uncle Google didn`t find anything useful, at least not a tutorial...

Re: Exchange and Nokia

I've played with it for 5 minutes, and from what I saw it was pretty straightforward. There's some sort of client you need to install on it if I remember right, then enter the server and user details and that's about it.
    Last edited by danielp; 31st January 2007, 12:38.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

HI Greg

There are several companies out there who do real "push" email.
      By that I mean pushing mail from Exchange (or Domino) corporate boxes rather than pop (web) accounts.

Since we cannot name or promote companies here, try looking at your SIM card provider, they all bundle together packages for pop mail provided through an outsourced/bespoke company. i.e The Telco supply the Blackberry but RIM suplpy the know-how and technology to the Telco - you deal with your Telco not RIM.

Having worked with a similar company for a couple of years until recently, these Telco's also support / supply other corporate push email solutions. in the UK for example Vodafone, USA, Verizon, Cingular, France - SFR etc etc, so try the main Telco providers first in your area. If the shop doesn't know, ask for the corporate / Enterprise sales division.

the only drawbacks are the billing of airtime, as you have to remember that a real "push" service is ON 24/7 always querying the server every few seconds/minutes - like Blackberry in fact, but that is where the Telco's make the money - your airtime use.

Most support not just bespoke (Blackberry type) devices, but also support the leading platforms including:

* Symbian OS (UIQ, Series 60, Series 80)
      * Windows Mobile Edition (PocketPC and Smartphone)
      * Palm OS
      * J2ME
      * WAP 1.3, WAP 2.0, HTML, Imode

Normally you install the "server" in house, connected to the Exchange server using Mapi and then install a "client" on the device.

The push mail "administrator" needs specific rights on the Exchange server to "send mail" on behalf of the recipient but apart from that it is quite straight forward and is more than viable on multiple devices.

Try "Googling" for "mobile email solutions" or "push email solutions" doing that, I found several links to companies that I know of and have worked with.

Originally posted by danielp View Post
        I've played with it for 5 minutes, and from what I sawe it was pretty straightforward. There's some sort of client you need to install on it if I remember right, then enter the server and user details and that's about it.
        Exactly right Daniel..........

Install the corporate firewall, connect to Exchange.
        Create Accounts on "push" mail server directly from the GAL.
        Install device client
        email is sent from "push" server to mailbox with authentication details.

it downloads email and usuall Calendar, Address Book and some do tasks, etc too.

some also do multiple inboxes or a mix of corporate and say a Gmail box also.

you are correct, it's straight forward.

Huh thanks for answers, I found some software called Exchange for Nokia or sth like that...

What do I have set up on Exchange?

Hi Greg

Microsoft's push mail solution only works across Micorsoft Platform , i.e Using Exchange to push to Windows mobile devices etc.

Using a Nokia, if I recall it's a Symbian device and doesn't use the Microsoft standard.

A server is usually installed on your network so normally nothing on the exchange server needs doing except create an admin level account that will be responsible for pushing the mail to the devices. but any installation documentation would tell you that (like teh Blackberry Admin account that you create on installing BES (Blackberry exchange Server).

That account is "used" by the BES (or equivilent) to "read" the mail boxes of the users and then push the mail via the BES (or equivilent) to the devices.

The account needs permissions to "send mail on behalf of someone" but doesn't actually get "used" directly. Its only usually an account that the BES (or equivilent) logs onto the Exchange server with, to access the GAL etc too.

A "client" is installed on the nokia (usually downloaded from the TELCO or the BES (or equivilent) server).

log onto device with provided passpword etc and away it goes.

I can post links to 3rd party providors here, but I would prefer not to - unless admin is ok with it???

but your best bet I think if it's only 1 or 2 devices is go via your TELCO.

If you do, make sure they bundle you a deal with unlimited acces / bandwidth to the internet and provide you with either a WAP configuration or APN (Access point name) to connect to their servers.

I should have mentioned that the TELCO plug 'n' play bundles (that i have dealt with at least) only deal with pop solutions (gmail etc) as does the Nokia software that you install on the phone.

I have never seen anything that will push Exchange (corporate) mail to a device directly without first installing a BES (or equivilent) on your network, or at the very least an application for the PC that connects via Mapi to Outlook, some vendors do have these desktop apps, but it relies on a pc always being connected to the Exchange and the Internet - not much point if your pc is a notebook and you carry it with you out of the office

The server solutions (and the desktop app) that i have seen and worked with as I said rely on a mapi connection and either Outlook or Exchange management console running and the BES (or equivilent) usually needs port 443 (https) opened outbound only. however, I have seen no solution that works 100% with Outlook XP - something to do with dll files being changed / renamed in that release, but I'm not 100% on that.