installing additional exchange server for test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing additional exchange server for test

I need a "test" exchange server to develop some custom forms in outlook, if i install another exchange server on our existing domain, will it screw up my existing exchange box/installation as i remember it asks "is this the first exchange server...."

If i can install a second exchange server are there any gotcha's to be wary of.

Thanks

Re: installing additional exchange server for test

Act as the followings:
    1. Backup your AD - you can do it with ntbackup and backup the system state.
    2. Restore the system state to a pc in your lab (disconnected from the network!!).
    3. Install the exchange in lab on another pc (or on virtual machine) with the setup /disasterecovery switch:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/..._Recovery.html
    4. restore the DB if needed.

Now you can test your forms
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Hi

What is the purpose of the system state backup? is it in case the 2nd exchange server install damages the AD? and why would i install the exchange server in disaster recovery mode, how is this different?

Thanks

Comment

System state includes some of the next:
        1. Registry.
        2. Boot files.
        3. Com+ objects.
        4. On DCs servers contains the AD info.

Because the Exchange configuration is located in the AD configuration partition (connectors, Mailbox stores names, server names, DB locations, etc....), the Exchange installation in DR mode, "Connects" to the configuration in the AD (like you have in the production) and not installed a new Exchange configuration.
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

thanks

Slowly understanding, so can you confirm that the AD system state back up is a precautionary measure in case things go ti** up, and by installing the second exchange server in DR mode, it doesn't write info to the AD and allows it to sit on the domain in a "stand alone" mode.

I dont need it to send/receive external mail, all i need it for is to connect a client to test a custom Company calendar within PF i am having developed with a SQL back end.

Entry is via Outlook and reporting is via a http page from the SQL server, neat.

Regards

Comment

No.

1. As I wrote in the previous, the system state is used for restoring the AD from production to the LAB environment - if you have any other way to do it - no problems.
            2. About the setup /disasterrecovery - this installation of exchange is used to keep all the configuration and environment of the exchange that is located in the production and "copy" it to the LAB environment.

Please read again the article from Msexchange.org that I linked before.
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

sorry, didn't quite explain

I dont have a LAB or TEST environment, I am looking to place the second Exchange server on the LIVE domain.

Regards

Comment

Very bad idea.

I would recommend you to install it on Vmware or virtual PC (MS) and not on production - don't mix the two, you can accidentally mess up you production!!!
                Polycom Israel.

Comment

thanks

thats what i wanted to know, i shall NOT be installing it on the live domain,

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X