Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Exchange 2003 Server

Hi,

I am in the process of installing my first exchange server and need a few guidelines.

I have 5 x 146gb hard drives - what raid config should i use?

Would Raid 5 be sufficient?

I will have about 50 users, growing to 80 by the end of the year.

Thanks!

Steve

Re: New Exchange 2003 Server

For (IMHO) maximum fault tolerance:
    2 x drives (mirrored) for operating system
    3 x drives (RAID 5) for Exchange database
    Ideally the logs should be on a separate array, but with 100 users you are not likely to have problems.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The recommendation from MS is to create 2 separate raid0+1 for DB & Logs.
      Because you don't have the money or the need for best performance for 50-100 users, I would recommend the followings in order to get the maximum redundancy and performance for the Exchange & the OS:
      1. Buy another 146GB disk.
      2. Create 3 mirror raids, 2X146GB for each one of them - system, Exch logs & Exch DB.
      This configuration will give you less performance from Raid 5 (reading only perspective), but will give you better redundancy and separation of the core systems in the server: System, DB and Logs.

* Don't forget to limit the user's mailboxes in order to keep small DB as possible.
      CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
      Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
      Polycom Israel.

Comment

just out of curiosity, can the logs or DB be stored on a different server? as in a different network drive? seeing as users are so low?
        James
        MCP

Comment

If you are using iScsi, then you can put the Logs on one LUN and the DB on another LUN.
          But you can not keep then on 2 different servers.
          CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
          Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
          Polycom Israel.

Comment

Transaction logs should be kept on the same server.
            Performance wise, I don't think you will gain much from putting the transaction logs on to separate RAID array. I have certainly built servers that take a lot more users and stress tested them and they have been fine.

The way that I would do it would be

Disk 1,2 - mirrored. Two partitions, 20gb and the rest. The first partition has the OS and applications. The second partition would have the transaction and message tracking logs.

Disk 3,4,5 - RAID 5. No partitions, database only.

I would also consider a sixth hard disk that is allocated as a hot spare.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi everyexpert,

Newbie have one question. Newbie don't find anyone mention number of disk controller (raid card). Different kinds of Raid above mean each kind on a seperate Raid card ? (can we combine different kinds of Raid on 1 Raid card ?).

If the server above must handle 1000 mailboxes (50 or 100 MB each) so what is the recommendation ?

Newbie read that Raid 1 (01) use 2 I/O operation for 1 Write, Raid 5 use 4 IO for 1 W; so Raid 1 (01) penalty is 0.8, Raid 5 penalty factor is 0.57, that mean for a given IOPS number, using Raid 5 will require more disks that Raid 1 or 01. But newbie don't find the relation to number of disk in Raid 5 array, will more disks (in raid 5 array) give better IO (performance) ? What is the change in Write performance ratio when adding more disks to Raid 5 array, in compared with Raid 1 (and raid 01) ?

Thank you very much for supporting newbie
              Best regards,
              Last edited by mspro2006; 24th January 2007, 16:48.

Comment

Noobie will get some advise. Please do NOT hijack a thread, especially when you have another one that would be considered a double post of this. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12947

Smaller yes, but it looks like a limited cut and paste from it. Please edit it (ie delete it) before Daniel sees it or you will displease him.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dear if you have a good hardware then you configure the RAID LEVEL 5 ,but before deploye the Exchange server 2003 make sure that your exchange data base is not located in your OS partition .. it help you in case any problem.

dear i need your help in don't know how to configure RAID LEVEL and how to identify the type of RAID like SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE can you help me
                  SEND ME MAIL AT ADDRESS DELETED BY MOD
                  Last edited by danielp; 9th February 2007, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesum View Post
                    Dear if you have a good hardware then you configure the RAID LEVEL 5 ,but before deploye the Exchange server 2003 make sure that your exchange data base is not located in your OS partition .. it help you in case any problem.

dear i need your help in don't know how to configure RAID LEVEL and how to identify the type of RAID like SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE can you help me
                    SEND ME MAIL AT ADDRESS DELETED BY MOD
                    Are you real? I suggest you do some reading before posting your next thread.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                    X