X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E2K3: OWA Sending but not Receiving

I have been called in to consult on this OWA problem:
    WAIT 90

Ok, now that everyone has stopped laughing (I stopped ages ago, now crying), Windows 2003 Server SP1, Exchange 2003 Server SP2 sitting on a Dual Xeon with 2GB RAM. Unfortunately it is also running a couple of Web Servers.

It was installed so the students would have email so only OWA is running. There are 2 FQDNs, one is internal and not used and the second is the one that can be accessed externally. Mail passage seems to be, Exchange Server, Sonic Firewall, Smarthost server. Sonic Firewall appears to have to correct Port Forwarding in both directions and this is confirmed by the people who administer the Sonic box.

Using an external site, using http://www.dnsreport.com/ with the sites email address resolves to the Smarthost. Open Relay has also been disabled.

Logging onto OWA internally (FBA is used) opens the mail box. (FBA screen also appears from outside the network) Address can be pulled from the GAL. External and internal address mail can be sent and show up in the Sent box, but they are not arriving in the intended Inbox. Sending an email to yourself shows the email sent (in the Sent Items) but it doesn't arrive in the Inbox. It is not in the Queue.

Emails sent from external sites do not appear in the Inbox and are NOT bounced. No notification that the messages are having trouble getting through and are being retried have been sent to the external sender.

I have compared the settings on the server with ones from a working site and I can't see any obvious errors. Smarthost is a difference, but tried deleting the Smarthost connector and recreating it with the Wizard. No difference.

I do not like this as there are 3 areas where things could be wrong. The Exchange Server itself. The Sonic Firewall that is controlled by another party and thirdly the Smarthost, yet another party controls that.

This site used to work until about 3 months ago then it went spasmodic. One day it worked, the next it wouldn't. All Event Logs from that time have long gone unfortunately and there are no errors in what is now available. The web site being hosted on the same server (different partition) works fine.

I gotta be missing something obvious, any ideas. I am in 100 feet of water, sinking fast and would like an idea before my feet touch bottom.

Also tried removing the Smarthost, adding an MX record for the Internal FQDN in an effort to see if we could send Internal to Internal but that didn't work either. Message went to Sent Items but didn't show up in the Inbox.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: E2K3: OWA Sending but not Receiving

Try the following, not necessarily in the right order:

1) Use message tracking, look at the message tracking center;

2) Enable SMTP logging. Open the SMTP logs and look for errors;

3) Look for MTA errors;

4) From the same box, use TELNET to send an email via the smart host, see if it got to the destination (use Gmail for example);

5) Is the smart host used on the SMTP virtual server (it shouldn't) or on the SMTP connector?

6) Try without a smart host;

7) What DNS is the Exchange server using for SMTP traffic (you can find this in the SMTP VS advanced settings).

Get back with some answers and we'll take it from there.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks Daniel, you are a star!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah right. What was wrong? What fixed it? Tell us.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Nothing yet, just the options (and it says so on your new logo). I had just run out of things to try and you mentioned a couple (4 actually) I had forgotten.

Resolution may take some time as I don't have site access and have to rely on a 3rd party. I will keep you informed as events unfold. I am trying to get the site support person to register and post the problems first hand instead of running them through me. He also knows how the rest of the site is setup whereas I don't. Makes it tough.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X