Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperating business and personal emails

Hi,

We have recently had an audit done of our policies and procedures. One of the tasks that has came out of this, is the ability to distinguish business and private emails at a glance.

We run SBS 2003 with exchange and the majority are outlook clients. Although we do have seven mac mail users.

At first I thought we could just use categories but this involves more manually work than I would like.

Does anyone know of a way to bring up a dialogue box with each email so they can choose if it is private or personal?

I am still unsure of this as there is practically no way to determine if an incoming mail is business or private without opening it first!

Thanks

brian

Re: seperating business and personal emails

You could consider the "auto preview" option and then use flags to distinguish personal and work.

Alternatively rules based on sender address?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

This is a tricky one and it is giving me a sore head !

I am tending to think now that it may be eaiser setup a secondary email address

business. [email protected]
      private. [email protected]

This way I could filter all incoming email and it would be the users responsibility to make sure they send from the correct address.

Any other experiences with this?

Comment

That would work for outgoing emails, but would people sending TO you use the correct addresses.

I am now confused -- is it incoming or outgoing emails you want to work with?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It has to included all emails. Incoming and outgoing.

We have been advised that new legislation that is coming in to force will mean that all business email will have to be distinguishable from personal email.

The option is there to ban all personal email to get round this problem. Although our directors and myself do not want to go down this road.

If they have two email address’s all they need to do is inform there friends of the change, no more hassle than when changing jobs. So any email directed to there second address or sent from it will be easily identified as private. And the business email will also just as easily be identified.

Comment

Simple (but harsh) solution would be to ban all personal mail.

If this is new legislation then you may see this starting to happen more as I doubt employers would want to waste money and time on a solution.

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi m80arm

yes it is harsh, I think you need to place trust in your users.

The other option is to creat group email's for departments but the industry i work in using account managers things tend to be a little more personal.

I guess it is going to be hard to find the perfect solution but the decision will no soubt be made above my head.

thanks everyone !

Comment

You could do another thing:

Set up a new Exchange server in a separate Organization, use a separate SMTP domain name for the second Org. Ask users to use OWA whenever they connect to the other server, and have their personal mail delivered to it. You could also use IMAP and let the users d/l the content into PST files.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks Mr P

Although I am afraid the purchase of another machine/software is out of the question. Although I can see your idea being usefull for someone else.

Comment

Well in fact you could use a free email system for that. You don't need Exchange it it'll just be used for personal stuff. Heck, you can even host your domain for free at Microsoft or Gmail!
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The problem with giving everyone two email addresses (priv/pers) is that when they send email, it will always go out from the default smtp address and you can only have one.

It would be tons easier to just eliminate personal email at work. Why do they need it anyway? Tell them to get their own personal email address at yahoo or something. I can't think of one personal email I need to go to my work address.
                      Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Working...
                      X