No announcement yet.

RPC over Https authentication prompt

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC over Https authentication prompt

Per recommendations from this site I am using Basic Authentication over SSL. Unfortunately, my users will get prompted for their username and password every time a connection is made. How can I have the Outlook client automatically authenticate. Microsoft defaults to NTLM but I am not sure if any other way exists.

Re: RPC over Https authentication prompt

IIRC, unless they are connected to the domain in some way (direct ethernet / wifi, or VPN), then there is no way to auto-authenticate, as it would defeat the purpose.

basic authentication = username / password login once per session (session exists while outlook is open)

NTLM = authenticates via computer's domain authentication

please correct me if I'm wrong...
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

The important question is whether the machines accessing the server are members of the same domain or forest as the Exchange server.

If not - then you will always get the authentication prompt as the server requires authentication to allow access. That authentication needs to take place against the domain that the Exchange server is located in.

If the workstation is in the same domain/forest then you have a problem, as RPC over HTTPS should be totally transparent to the users.

On my deployments I have the /rpc virtual directory in IIS Manager set to integrated and basic authentication, then Outlook is set to NTLM authentication. I find that causes me the least problems.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

I second that, and although most RPC over HTTP guides specify BASIC on the OL client, I use NTLM.

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services