Event ID 290 - Exchange MTA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event ID 290 - Exchange MTA

Got an Exchange 2003 server and couple of users can't seem to receive any email. They can send it out but can't receive them.
    We are using Exchangepop3 on the server that is connecting their web email to the local domain account. I can see the messages come in on the server but they are not being received by the end user.
    A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name) is being generated for message C=US;A= ;P=domainname;L=RPV0612280512290365. It was originally destined for C=US;A= ;P=Organization Name;O=Exchange;DDA:SMTP=username(a)domainname.com ; (recipient number 1), and was to be redirected to . [MTA DISP:RESULT 16 136] (12)

Re: Event ID 290 - Exchange MTA

Wow so many smart people in here and no one can even suggest any thing lol.

Comment

...or maybe people have lives and are on holiday with their families and can't be bothered with a mere internet forum. Have you tried ?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

1- Yes I have
        2- Dude you don't have to get nasty, chill out have a beer or something.

Comment

Time to cool things off here a bit? It is Christmas and as said, we do have lives outwith the forums (but dont tell Daniel that )

Usits, have you tried for your event?
          http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...vent+290&meta=

Also, have you checked the address mappings from ExchangePop3 to Exchange are correct (I have not used this product but have used similar). Check their FAQs in particular http://www.exchangepop3.com/help/faq.exchange.002.html which refers to NDRs.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply, yes I have looked at both options but nothing points to my issue. I was thinking about just backing up all the mail boxes, uninstalling exchange reinstalling exchange and restoring all the mail boxes.
            Any suggestions on this procedure? Thanks
            And have a wonderful new year to every one.

Comment

It sounds as if your problem is somewhere between the Pop3 connector and Exchange so, if everything is working OK for the majority of your users, I would suggest it is better to work the problem and sort out the minority.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Actually it is happening for all the users now, and the funny thing is no one else complained about it.

Comment

I presume local emails are being delivered OK?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Yes local emails are working ok, perhaps that is why no one noticed it yet.

Comment

for information, since I have the exact same problem, didn't resolve it yet, some info may contain a hint for others.

Specific description. Mail doesn't get passed from smtp connector to mta and via versa, results in error 290 as desciped above.

Case: compagnie chagend ownership and name, and the wanted the old names out of ad and basicly a new ad since it was a office connected to the main office.

Had to use the old machines not to powerfull but the just bought the compagnie.

Did some migrates between 2 ad's exchange didn't work since it lost connection to the main office and although it knows all (global catalog), it doesn't want to share it when he can't find his big daddy of the domain.

So moved de mdbadata and did a chrash recovery, changed the mail record on the internet and my cisco and mail started comming in no problems it seemed.

Imported the pst (run out of space from transaction logs, mailstore down twice)

Fixed that, and update the latest service packs, didn't notice directly but since then it appears to have stopped working.

Checked with winroute no unknows id's, every connection up and ok.

Checked with best pratices, looked at all the exchange objects in system manager no hidden connectors or anything (no old 5.5 stuff), with extensive logging, I see it passed from smtp to mta mta accepts it, knows the user even, then destroys it and gives the mentioned error. Same way from inside to outside.

Checked all minimun permisions on public folders, no problems there

Checked RUS, no erorrs, ldap finds 2 objects no problems, unChanged( out of memmory) works fine, rebuild the enterprice and organization, rus performs thats ok.

Checked system mailbox, looked fine, build a newone anyway, same problem

in the logs, there are zero errors, only the warning mentioned above, and all i can find on the internet regards to exchange 5.5

Both active dir and exchange are native mode

ldp and adsi edits, all uid etc are good, and again any change is updated bij the RUS, mailNick is ok, I can backup the stores just fine.

Just ter info I would have liked a solution, but since I can't have this problem much longer I'm gonna try a deinstall and reinstall of exchange. Probably deleting the objects manualy later today, although its not really an answer I need the server back so no more testing

anyway maybe the info can help somebody in the futher.

One other thing,when I apllied the latest patches and updates it also installed IE7, I have deinstalled it because of a problem with arcserve 11.5 but the machine isn't rebooted since then. Can't do that until this afternone, it fixed the arcserve manager problem anyways

And if any of my englisch is bad, sorry it's not my native tong.

Grtz
                      Blutch

Comment

And it Works

For anyone who doesn't wanna do al the things I did.

Most likley you schould check your mapi files in
                        %systemroot%\system32\

And i'm definitly sure a never installed outlook on any off my windows servers thats the situation windows gives for this problem.

afters setting the stub and mapi files of exchange and checking de inf it worked fine.

my best guess it has something to do with the autoupdate i aproved after remove the active directori autoupdate is enable again, and so probably because of the IE7 (schould replace mapi and i'm not gonna check if it does

fast ugly but simple fix nobody can screw up, not even me:
                        move all api files to an old directorie, reinstall exchange, reinstall updates all works fine.

Hope this saves someone a lot of effort

Grtz
                        Blutch

Comment

Here is what I am planning on doing. If you can correct me on my steps I will really appreciate it.

1- Backup the server completely
                          2- Backup all the exchange boxes (Now I'm not sure what is the best way to do it, so if you can suggest something that will be great. There are approximately 20 mail boxes)
                          3- Uninstall Exchange and ExchangePop3 software.
                          4- Reinstall Exchange and ExchangePop3 software.
                          5- Restore all the mail boxes.

You feed back will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Well thats about what I did, run into some trouble because exchange still believed it was installed, even after de deleting of the directories.

But from what I have seen, I think you can move your mapi files in the system32 dir. \%systemroot%\system32\mapi*

Then do a reinstall and reinstall the service packs.

I would trie that first, saves you a lot of hassle.

With your plan, I would backup with an export to pst files, since you only have 20 mailboxes, if your first storage group mailbox id changes, microsoft isn't to happy in putting it back, and even if it does, your mail accounts will have different uid's.

with *.pst you can import it into any mailbox even with different names.

Grtz
                            Blutch

Comment

So basically you mean go to every single single users PC and export their mail box as a pst?

Comment

Working...
                              X