Offline Address List errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Address List errors

I took over the support for an SBS 2003 network last June and my predecessor made changes by creating two offline address lists, one called wilfs and the other called temp. This resulted in numerous errors that appeared daily in the event log.

I tried to restore the address list to the Ďdefault offline address listí but I get the same errors and warnings consistently every morning at 5:00 a.m. I have researched these errors and tried a variety of solutions. I even had Dave Goldman poke at my problems one time earlier this year.

I am kind of overwhelmed where to start, but this is what I have. It starts with 37 warning entries in the application viewer that say:

Event ID 9116 (warning)
    OALGen encountered an error while generating the changes.oab file for differential downloads of address list '\Global Address List'. Clients will not be able to incrementally update to the new version of the offline address list, they will perform a full download instead. This is normal if this is the first time this offline address list has been generated. Check other logged events to see if this is a serious error.
    - Default Offline Address List

These 37 warnings are followed with one:

Event ID 9331 (error)
    OALGen encountered error 8004010f (internal ID 5020114) accessing the public folder store while generating the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'.

Then one:

Event ID 9116 (warning)
    OALGen encountered an error while generating the changes.oab file for differential downloads of address list '\Global Address List'. Clients will not be able to incrementally update to the new version of the offline address list, they will perform a full download instead. This is normal if this is the first time this offline address list has been generated. Check other logged events to see if this is a serious error.

Then one:

Event ID 9331 (error)
    OALGen encountered error 8004010f (internal ID 5020114) accessing the public folder store while generating the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'.

And finally:

Event ID 9348 (warning)
    OALGen encountered error 8004010f while loading the template /O=FIRST
    ORGANIZATION/cn=Configuration/cn=Addressing/cn=Address-Templates/cn=409. This address or display template will not be available for client download.

Then everything is OK for another 24-hour period. Could any Exchange 2003 experts give me a hand diagnosing this?
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Offline Address List errors

Ok so this goes a little something like this.

Event ID 9116 (warning)

Dave: This is normal if this is the first time you have generated an OAB.

Event ID 9331 (error)

Dave: This usually indicates that there is either no local replica on the server and or something is wrong with the public folder tree and OABGen.dll can not access the OAB V2, V3 and V4 folders. This could also be permissions related. Check to see if there is a local replica first since there needs to be one on the server we are generating from.

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archi...-and-9335.aspx

Event ID 9348 (warning)
    OALGen encountered error 8004010f while loading the template /O=FIRST
    ORGANIZATION/cn=Configuration/cn=Addressing/cn=Address-Templates/cn=409. This address or display template will not be available for client download.

Dave: This usually indicates permissons problems in the active directory on the address-templates container and or some of the templates are missing. You can download the newest version of OABInteg and run the templatetest. This test will scan the container to make sure that everything is there.

http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archi...09/748133.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archi...-oabinteg.aspx

Dave

Comment

Dave, thank you for taking the time.

In ESM there is a 'Default offline address list'
      Last modified 9/12/2006

I tried 'rebuild' command and this generates all 42 warnings and errors that are currently being generated in my event log daily.

I downloaded lateest OABInteg and ran the template test:

C:\Support\OABInteg\OABInteg>oabinteg.exe /s:server1 /t:templatetest

================================================== ===
      OABInteg (Offline Address Book Integrity Checker)
      Product Version 06.05.7839.0
      OABInteg.exe
      Microsoft Corporation, Copyright (C) 2006
      Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
      ================================================== ===

Program started at: 10:39:58 AM
      Running OABInteg on: SERVER1\NULL
      Trying to connect to: GC://server1Organization object found: AVP

Starting Test 7 - Orphaned Display Template Test - Check 1

Search started at: 10:40:01 AM

Search ended at: 10:40:01 AM

Scan Completed
      +------------+
      Total orphaned templates found in the Lost and Found container: 0

Starting Test 7 - Addressing Template Validation Test - Check 2

Entry 0: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=401
      Entry 1: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=402
      Entry 2: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=403
      Entry 3: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=404
      Entry 4: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=405
      Entry 5: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=406
      Entry 6: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=407
      Entry 7: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=408
      Entry 8: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=409
      Entry 9: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=40b
      Entry 10: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=40c
      Entry 11: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=40d
      Entry 12: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=40e
      Entry 13: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=410
      Entry 14: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=411
      Entry 15: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=412
      Entry 16: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=413
      Entry 17: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=414
      Entry 18: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=415
      Entry 19: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=416
      Entry 20: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=418
      Entry 21: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=419
      Entry 22: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=41a
      Entry 23: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=41b
      Entry 24: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=41d
      Entry 25: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=41e
      Entry 26: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=41f
      Entry 27: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=422
      Entry 28: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=424
      Entry 29: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=425
      Entry 30: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=426
      Entry 31: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=427
      Entry 32: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=42d
      Entry 33: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=804
      Entry 34: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=816
      Entry 35: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=81A
      Entry 36: /o=AVP/CN=Configuration/CN=Addressing/CN=Address-Templates/CN=C0A

Scan Completed
      +------------+
      37 Addressing Templates found
      0 Duplicate Addressing Templates found

Starting Test 7 - Addressing Template Language ID Validation Test - Check 3

Scan Completed
      +------------+
      Total Address-Template Language ID's found: 0

Performing cleanup.
      Unbinding LDAP connections.
      Closing all ldap connections.
      Exiting application.

It appears in Active Directory Users and Computers the OAB is there, or parts of it. Please see my screenshot.
      Attached Files

Comment

That picture doesnt look right. Also here is another problem:

Starting Test 7 - Addressing Template Language ID Validation Test - Check 3

Scan Completed
        +------------------+
        Total Address-Template Language ID's found: 0 <-- This should have all 37 language id's.

I would make sure that the authenticate users, exchange servers group and exchange domain servers all have full access to read this object. Also depending on the situation on how these language id's were removed, you should be able to modify the msExchTemplateRDNs attribute on the CN=Address-Templates objects and add all of the language ids for each of the templates that are found in check 2 of the templatetest. The values should show as followed:

And so on...

Here is my suggestion and you can try this as a test.

1. Fix the above item and rebuild the offline address list. If this fails then

2. Delete the Default offline address list
        3. Stop the information store service and restart it (this should get rid of the folders that are no longer needed and create the new oab in the information store).
        4. Create a new Default offline address book and link it to the default global address list
        5. turn up diagnostic logging to max
        6. turn up diagnositc logging for MSExchangeIS/Public for all just for now so we can see if there is something wrong with the public folder information store.
        7. rebuild that new default offline address list.

OABInteg is finding the address-template languge id's so we are able to read the attribute off of the display template that contains all of them.

Also run an OABInteg /s:exchsrvrname /tabfldcheck /v:2 /l from the server and post the results or send them to me.

Dave
        Last edited by sifu128; 28th December 2006, 17:27.

Comment

Do I only delete the Default offline address list from the Information Store or do I also delete the AD copy?

Thanks

Comment

Try to get the address template language id's fixed first as this will stop the generation process being that we need to generate the template files for each language id.

Then if you needed to only delete the the default offline address book from the ESM and restart the information store service. Once the store starts up and does it check it will notice that the oab is no longer there and should remove the public folders that are associated with it.

Dave

Comment

Do I use ADSIedit to do this?

Comment

ldifde returns an invalid argument. I am using Server 2003 SP1 inside SBS 2003. Here is the result:

C:\>ldifde -f output.ldf -s server1 -d "CN=401,CN=Address-Templates,CN=Addressing,CN=AVP,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Servic
                es,CN=Configuration,DC=AVP,DC=local" -v
                Invalid Parameter: Bad argument '-d'

The DN was cut and pasted from LDP.

This was taken from your blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman/archi...09/748133.aspx

Thanks
                Last edited by RobW; 28th December 2006, 22:29.

Comment

I ran that command just fine in my lab.

C:\Documents and Settings\dgoldman>ldifde -f output.ldf -s localhost -d "CN=Address-Templates,CN=Addressing,CN=dgoldman,CN=Microsoft E xchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=dgoldman,D C=org" -v
                  Connecting to "localhost"
                  Logging in as current user using SSPI
                  Exporting directory to file output.ldf
                  Searching for entries...
                  Writing out entries
                  Exporting entry: CN=Address-Templates,CN=Addressing,CN=dgoldman,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN
                  =Configuration,DC=dgoldman,DC=org

295 entries exported

The command has completed successfully

Comment

When I substituted domian_controller with localhost instead of Server1 it executed. This is the result, and when I opened output.ldf it was blank. I am assuming this is the correct procedure to repair the ID.

Am I at the stage yet where I abondon all hope and delete the default offline address book ?

E:\>ldifde -f output.ldf -s localhost -d "CN=Address-Templates,CN=Addressing,CN=AVP,CN=Microsoft E xchange,CN=Services,C
                    N=Configuration,DC=AVP,DC=local" -v
                    Connecting to "localhost"
                    Logging in as current user using SSPI
                    Exporting directory to file output.ldf
                    Searching for entries...
                    Writing out entries

No Entries found
                    The command has completed successfully

Thanks

Comment

Since you donít have any templates there I would say that you need to re-run forestprep to replace the templates in the active directory. I would use LDP and or ADSIEdit and verify that they are all missing. If this is the case your problem is with your active directory and the templates missing. They might not show up for two reasons (1. very restrictive permissions, 2. they just arenít there).

Dave

Comment

I'll go through each Dn first with Ldifde. Failing that, this server is in full production. Is there any precautions I should be aware of with Forestprep or can I run that as is?

Thanks

Comment

Running forestprep should add back each of of the templates for you. If they are there for some reason and there was a problem with OABInteg detecting the DN's you need to modify the msExchTemplateRDNS and just add each language number in there as it is multi-valued. And lastly there is no problem with running forestprep.
                          Last edited by sifu128; 30th December 2006, 00:17.

Comment

Working...
                          X