38948Kb DSTxx.Temp files in Winnt Temp Directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38948Kb DSTxx.Temp files in Winnt Temp Directory

Can someone please help with this one Pls. We have a WIN2000 AD server running Exchange 2000 approx 20 users.

Two days ago it started running slow. We found that there were very large .tmp files being generated in the C:\WINNT\Temp folder. They all start off DSTxx.tmp, the xx being any number. They are all 38948kb in size, can not open or delete them they are lock and in use. They generate approx every 4 to 9 minutes. They grow and grow until C:\ drive is full.

The only action is to reboot in Safe mode and delete them out. On re-starting the server all is fine for the rest of the day, then the whole thing starts again the following morning the files start to appear again !

Has anyone seen this before ? is this a virus, we have Symantec Corp V9 installed scan in Safe Mode found no virus files. Scanned for MyDoom and Netsky.p using Symantec's fix tool nothing found. Have run Filemon this shows "Store.exe and inetinfo.exe writing to the Temp folder. Have moved the Temp variables folder to the D:\ drive, the problem follows.

The only significant event a number of large EMAILS sent just before it all started.

Cheers

SteveR

Re: 38948Kb DSTxx.Temp files in Winnt Temp Directory

Who is sending the emails -- are they authorised or is someone using you as a relay?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK, use to get http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/899392

Same problem, reason and solution
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom

Firstly many thanks for your help!

I have checked for an open relay on port 25 all looks OK. Checked permissions on the \temp variables folder again all OK.

The one action I have taken that, (for now) looks to have had a positive effect is to limit the Global Message size limits in ESM. I have limited the incoming / outgoing size limits to 10Meg. Since setting the limits I've seen no more 38Meg DST*.tmp files!

The KB you have highlighted however looks good and I will follow up the item re the Antivirus system. It's the first article I've seen that makes any ref to the DST.tmp files issue.

Will keep you up to date with further progress reports.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regs

SteveR

Comment

Tom

Further update for you, since applying the mail box limits no more huge DST*.tmp files! The only thing I can put it down to is the Exchange box receiving a very large incomming email attemping to fragment it into smaller data files.

Does this sound like a cause ?

Kind Regards

Christmas Greeting.

SteveR

Comment

Working...
          X