Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP to X.400

Hello all,

In my firm we use Exchange 5.5 and SMTP is disabled.
    We want to use an application that can send notifications and reports via e-mail using the SMTP Protocol. I searched the internet for a long time trying to figure out a way to catch the e-mails sent from the application and forward them using MAPI, CDO or Outlook.Application objects, but failed to find a solution.

Until now I have managed to send custom-made HTML messages with attachments using Outlook.Application, as long as I have a profile defined on my user. Now the only thing I can't seem to do is to intercept the mail trying to be sent via SMTP. Is there a way to intercept the mail sent by SMTP and save it as files in a certain directory, so that I would be able to take those files and forward them through our Exchange using my defined Outlook profile?

Any help/ideas would be highly appriciated.
    Thanks,
    Pyrocks

Re: SMTP to X.400

Could you use an external SMTP server? I have configured BLAT to send backup notifications for customers that did not have their own SMTP server so we used an external one.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rob, but we cannot use an external SMTP server as our firm is connected in a private LAN. We use Active Directory and Exchange 5.5 to deliver mails.

In general - I'm trying to find out how can I forward mails that are being sent from an application (a black box) via SMTP to our e-mail clients, when SMTP is disabled on the exchange server.
      I can send custom e-mails to whoever I want using code, the only thing i can't do is to catch the mails...

If, lets say, I install IIS's SMTP server on the application's server, could that be of any help? it must be saving mails in a database/files that i can use somehow...

any ideas?

thanks

Comment

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Why not just enable SMTP on the Exchange server?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Not my call, and nothing I can do about it... (I do not have an administrative account on the exchange servers and the people that do refuse to enable it).
          Just trying to find a solution to a given situation...

any ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X