Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Bandwidth is needed between two locations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Bandwidth is needed between two locations?

Is 10Mb enough bandwidth between two locations to maintain exchange servers on both ends? There are about 10 people who would be on the remote server. The reason for the server is more for offsite redundancy.

Thanks,

Marc
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: How much Bandwidth is needed between two locations?

I would say 10mb is more than enought. I think MS class anything less 256k as a slow link (According to GP)

I suppose it all depends on how much data your going to be replicating and how often you want it replicated.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I was hoping to keep it real time. No scheduling of replication. Since there will only be a few users that will reside in an IS in the remote site, there won't be that much email going to that server.

So 10 MB should be plenty? Is there a document that states bandwidth requirements I could be directed to so I can have something in writing to show my boss?

Thank you,

Marc
      Thank you,

Marc

Comment

I am looking into some replication between a 10mb link as well. From what I have gathered, it's plenty big of a pipe to replicate data. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Are you looking into any 3rd Party replication products?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnc53 View Post
          Are you looking into any 3rd Party replication products?
          No, I just want them to think they are in the same rack.

I can tell you that before I got here, some local IT shop sold this company PeerSynch High Volume Server Edition to byte level replicate the stores. It was a disaster. All of the copied stores were corrupt. STAY AWAY.
          Thank you,

Marc

Comment

I think that maybe you should work as the followings if you need the other Exchange for DRP only:

1. Let the people in the remote site work with Outlook 2003 cache mode.
            2. Use only one Exchange server in the major site.
            3. Invest the money that you plane for the Exchange in the remote site + maintenance + backup + hardware + licenses + bandwidth, in DRP like offsite backups from the main site, or locate the Exchange DB on central storage like NetApp, then you will be able to restore the DB from snapshots for example:
            http://petri.com/restoring_items_fro..._snapshots.htm
            And see the next one in case of disaster:
            http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ry-Switch.html
            CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
            Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by tkolber View Post
              I think that maybe you should work as the followings if you need the other Exchange for DRP only:

1. Let the people in the remote site work with Outlook 2003 cache mode.
              2. Use only one Exchange server in the major site.
              3. Invest the money that you plane for the Exchange in the remote site + maintenance + backup + hardware + licenses + bandwidth, in DRP like offsite backups from the main site, or locate the Exchange DB on central storage like NetApp, then you will be able to restore the DB from snapshots for example:
              http://petri.com/restoring_items_fro..._snapshots.htm
              And see the next one in case of disaster:
              http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ry-Switch.html
              and if I loose power/internet connection for the major site and still want to receive email?
              Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Is OWA OK? you can setup an ADSL or other secondary connection in case of failure.
                CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
                Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
                Polycom Israel.

Comment

Working...
                X