No announcement yet.

SMTP logging

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMTP logging

Hi guys,

I have asked to log all SMTP traffic, so i can average the number of emails sent and received in a year period.

I also need to be able to identify users who send the higher number of emails

any ideas ?

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: SMTP logging

Did you want something like this:

Re: SMTP logging

The best thing for you to do is enable Message Tracking, then invest in some software that will periodically take those message tracking logs and store them in a database. You can then run whatever reports that you like on that data.

If they want over a year, then you are going to have to purchase something, as the message tracking logs will be very large. To give you an idea, on most sites I only keep 30 days of logs, then delete the rest.

Logging SMTP traffic is not going to be any use to you as that doesn't log enough information that you can run reports on. It doesn't log the users for example. Message tracking is the best source of this information.

As for applications, the best is Quest Message Stats. It also happens to be the most expensive. Quest will give you everything that you need to know about your email message flow.

Slightly cheaper is a product called Mail Detective from ADV SOFT.

That provides some similar reports to Quest.

If you want to create your own thing on Access, then Promodag have a tool that can take the logs and convert them in to an Access database.

Finally, a fellow MVP, Glen Scales, as some scripts that can be used as a basis for your own system:

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.