Reduce Exchange IS Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce Exchange IS Size

When our Exchange IS hit 16 GB, I found that installing Exchange Server 2003 SP2 gave me the abililty to increase the IS size to 38GB. Problem is our drive is 40 GB which doesn't leave us with much room for log files, DOH!

Is it possible to reduce the IS size by about 6 GB? I know that the true IS size is around 18 GB out of the 38 I've allocated to it.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Reduce Exchange IS Size

In general for Exchange DB - it is recommended that the total DB size (Priv.edb+Priv.stm) will be maximum around 20GB, for DR (restore or fixing the DB) and because of maintenance issues (defrag for example).
    But all of those recommendation are OK - if you have the money

So anyway, you have 2 steps that should work together in order to reduce the DB size:
    Step1: Export / Deleted /Backup and delete old emails or ask the users to delete unneeded items (from deleted items for example).
    Step 2: Check the Exchange application event log for event 1221 - this event will tell you how much space you will be able to save if you will run the offline defrag.
    I'm sure that you will find that you will be able to save a lot space on your drives.
    Now you should run the offline defrag and reduce the Exchange DB size:
    http://www.petri.com/defragment_exch..._databases.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...gmentation.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

* Be aware that it is most recommended to run backup before running the offline defrag and you must run backup after the defrag, because the Exchange create the DB as new file with different signatures.
    If you will not run backup after defrag and the DB will crash, you will not be able to play the logs with the restored DB - because of DB & Logs signatures.
    Is it OK?
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

When you talk about "backup", you mean a tape backup, right? Can you explain why a backup is required after the offline defrag?

Here's my log:

Event Type: Information
      Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
      Event Category: General
      Event ID: 1221
      Date: 1/12/2006
      Time: 8:00:01 AM
      User: N/A
      Computer: JLRX01
      Description:
      The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (JLRX01)" has 5480 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
      Event Type: Information
      Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
      Event Category: General
      Event ID: 1221
      Date: 1/12/2006
      Time: 6:12:21 AM
      User: N/A
      Computer: JLRX01
      Description:
      The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (JLRX01)" has 17 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Originally posted by tkolber View Post
        * Be aware that it is most recommended to run backup before running the offline defrag and you must run backup after the defrag, because the Exchange create the DB as new file with different signatures.
        If you will not run backup after defrag and the DB will crash, you will not be able to play the logs with the restored DB - because of DB & Logs signatures.
        Is it OK?
        He did explain JD. Read the above quote.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks biggles

Hi JDMils,

1. Backup - It doesn't meter with what backup software (Ntbackup / Netbackup, etc) or hardware (disk / tape) you are using, as long as there is a valid backup.

2. As biggles wrote you, I already explained (in general) why it so important to backup after defrag, but here is more info in depth:
          http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...blogfiles.mspx
          http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

If you have any Q's - please ask.
          Polycom Israel.

Comment

Hi,

I defrag offline before one week, after the EDB increase 10GB in fw days, but then I dont had the opportunitydo back the DB, now one week after the EDB increase again in 10 GB(note im using circular logs), but when I try to defrag it nothing occurs, and because the edb and the system are on the same partition and I have only 500MB free I must to dismount the store. the last 1221 told me that I have 10GB free, but even 1gb was been freed when I run eseutil /d. and when I run the eseutil /ms I see that only 4300 pages is free on the EDB.

How can I shrink the EDB? Whats is wrong, why is growing so fast? the retention is set to 0 days.

thanks

Comment

Using Circular Logging is a good way to make sure your backups will never work. Do you want that to happen? Do you have an urge to write your CV again?

Never use Circullar Logging. Not if you care about your data.

As for the rest of your question - I don't know why your stores have increased their size by 10GB. Question is what's their size now. If they were 2 GB in size and now they're 12GB - that should raise an eyebrow. If they were 100GB and now they're 110GB - well, that ***COULD*** be normal, depending on your daily usage.

In any case, running Exchange on a server that only has 500MB free space AND using Circullar Logging is not a very good idea.

HTH
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello Daniel,

My DB has 7.5 GB normally, and I have more then 12GB free on the HD, but now the DB increase his size and left only 500MB free, so the question is how to found why the EDB increase so much so fast.

For the CV, when Ill need a new one I post here again

Comment

1. What AV are you using? check that it is updated with all the last fixes & updates (if you are using Symantc - try stop it and then check again).
                  2. Verify that your server (OS & Exchange) are update with the last SP and hotfixes.
                  3. Scan your server with other AV and check that your server is not infected with viruses.
                  Polycom Israel.

Comment

Hi,

1) sav 10
                    2) yes the both are updated
                    3) full scan and nothing

but I see that since this problem starts, the sav give me warnings that cannot open few files on the bad mails for this store.

Comment

I'm glad to say that my IS is now 17GB and the backup truncates all log files each night after a succesfsul backup- thanks for all your help!
                      |
                      +-- JDMils
                      |
                      |

Comment

Working...
                      X