Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange with ADSL

Hi Guys,

I have recently registered on this website. I have been using this website for almost a year now and it has been of great help to me. Thanks Mr. Petri and all the members in the posts.

The reason for my writing the post is that I have a problem at 1 of my clients place here. He wants me to install Exchange 2003 at his site but he has ADSL connection and hence does not have static IP address. Can any of you guys please help me with as to how to go about this problem.

Thanks and warm regards,
    Zubair

Re: Exchange with ADSL

Two possible options:

Preferable: Ask the ISP for a static IP address -- this should not be a problem but it might cost a little extra

Alternative: Use SBS or 3rd party software to collect emails from a POP3 account regularly and let Exchange route them internally

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You have 2 choices:
      1. He can use a static IP and domain from ISP.
      2. You can configure a DDNS server (Dynamic DNS) that update the DNS domain (A record + MX) of your domain in case of IP changes.
      The only minus of this configuration are:
      A. You can't use any domain you like - you can only choose sub domain name that you want (if available) under the DDNS supplier, in example - the DDNS service site is Dnip.net - so you can create (if available) ms.dnip.net.
      B. You are depend in the DDNS provider - if his web site is down - you will not be able to access your domain.
      C. You can't choose any domain you want.
      D. You must use the recipient policy according to the DDNS name - manes that the email addresses will be: [email protected].

There are many sites that uses for DDNS, but you can use this site - I use it and very happy with it: http://www.dnip.net

Remind the client: cheap - is expensive
      Good luck
      CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
      Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
      Polycom Israel.

Comment

thnx ossian..
        but will the static ISP work over ADSL?

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Two possible options:

Preferable: Ask the ISP for a static IP address -- this should not be a problem but it might cost a little extra

Alternative: Use SBS or 3rd party software to collect emails from a POP3 account regularly and let Exchange route them internally

Tom

Comment

Thnx tlokber.
          But the client needs the mail domain according to his choice. He doesnt agree on having something else.

Originally posted by tkolber View Post
          You have 2 choices:
          1. He can use a static IP and domain from ISP.
          2. You can configure a DDNS server (Dynamic DNS) that update the DNS domain (A record + MX) of your domain in case of IP changes.
          The only minus of this configuration are:
          A. You can't use any domain you like - you can only choose sub domain name that you want (if available) under the DDNS supplier, in example - the DDNS service site is Dnip.net - so you can create (if available) ms.dnip.net.
          B. You are depend in the DDNS provider - if his web site is down - you will not be able to access your domain.
          D. You must use the recipient policy according to the DDNS name - manes that the email addresses will be: [email protected].

There are many sites that uses for DDNS, but you can use this site - I use it and very happy with it: http://www.dnip.net

Remind the client: cheap - is expensive
          Good luck

Comment

If so - he must buy a fixed IP address from the ISP.
            CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
            Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

is tht the only other option available?
              coz he has put a lot of money for getting the ADSL. But let me try to convince him. I have already tried but have to try again I guess.

Thanks any ways tlokber.

If so - he must buy a fixed IP address from the ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by zubair View Post
                thnx ossian..
                but will the static ISP work over ADSL?

Yes, no problem at all. The line drops sometimes, but picks up the same IP each time it comes up

Tom
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom,

Apologies for addressing you as Ossian. I didnt notice that your name is Tom.
                  What are these 3rd party tools you mentioned and how do they work?
                  Please if you can also help me with something more about as to what SBS is?

Thanks

Two possible options:

Tom

Comment

I use http://www.zoneedit.com[/URL] and it's free to register 5 DNS names (Anymore and you have to pay). All you have to do is change your NS records with your domain registrar to point to zoneedits DNS servers and run a client on your pc/server to periodically update your IP address with zoneedit (You can ever get linux and hardware routers that do this)

If you purchase credits you can even get zoneedit to store your mail untill your mail server comes back online

Hope it helps

Michael
                    Last edited by m80arm; 28th November 2006, 16:39.
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by zubair View Post
                      Hi Tom,

Apologies for addressing you as Ossian. I didnt notice that your name is Tom.
                      What are these 3rd party tools you mentioned and how do they work?
                      Please if you can also help me with something more about as to what SBS is?

Thanks
                      Dont worry, I'm still me with either name!

SBS = Microsoft Small Business Server, basically Server 2003 with built in Exchange (plus SQL and ISA in some versions) and easy management. It includes a connector for POP3 mailboxes so you can use it with most connections to the internet.

3rd party tools collect mail from an ISPs mailbox and pass it on to Exchange. There are quite a few (see google search below)
                      http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Exchange&meta=

Why dont you tell us more about the setup, any existing equipmen and what the client is wanting to do?

Tom
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

If you cannot get a static IP address, then use a dynamic DNS service.
                        The dynamic DNS service is used to create a host for the MX records for the domain. You do not have to have the host in the MX records in the same domain as the records...

For example, your domain could be domain.com, but the MX records could be host.dyndns.org

As long as the host is valid, it can be anything.

You would then install one of the tools from the dynamic DNS provider to keep the dynamic DNS address valid.

However, as the server is on a dynamic IP address, you will find that a lot of email will be rejected. Therefore use an SMTP Connector to route outbound email via the ISPs SMTP Server.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Tom,

The setup is as follows:
                          They have a server running Win 2003 Standard R2 edition
                          Exchange 2003 standard edition
                          ADSL connection for internet. They give 2 ip addresses. on all the computers including the server. One ip as the internal network and the other in the same range as the ADSL router. Every machine has the gateway as of the ADSL router.

Their mails are hosted in south africa (the client is in Botswana)
                          They have a branch in South Africa with some mobile users that work in Botswana also.
                          SO this particular set of users want to use mails in both locations.

If you need any more information please tell me.

Regards
                          Zubair

Dont worry, I'm still me with either name!

SBS = Microsoft Small Business Server, basically Server 2003 with built in Exchange (plus SQL and ISA in some versions) and easy management. It includes a connector for POP3 mailboxes so you can use it with most connections to the internet.

3rd party tools collect mail from an ISPs mailbox and pass it on to Exchange. There are quite a few (see google search below)
                          http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Exchange&meta=

Why dont you tell us more about the setup, any existing equipmen and what the client is wanting to do?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X