No announcement yet.

How allowing certain domains through IMF

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How allowing certain domains through IMF

I find IMF does a great job at level 5 and moving it up to 6 lets too many junk mail to the users Outlook Junk Folder.

I don't want to lower it as the network users hate seeing all kinds of junk mail in their junk folders. We also have users that no matter how many times we tell them not to open junk mail they will.

However for us network administrators once we enabled IMF we have to go through the junk mail and make sure certain emails are let through. We really only have 2 or 3 domains that IMF thinks are SPAM when really they are legit. We have TONS of junk mail, which makes approving emails from these certain domains that much harder to find in the sea of spam.

The question I have is there anyway of adding certain IPs for mail servers or Domains on a safe list so that IMF will let them pass? Just a reminder I do not want to do this on the client side (Ie Outlook). It must be done on the server.

Re: How allowing certain domains through IMF

Sorry - but no IMF or any other commponent in Exchange can configured as "White List" that can wanted emails/domains pass through.

You need more efficient software (Third party).
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

you can do it the other way around and use a blacklist, but if you guys go through the junk mail.....well i feel the pain.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Have you tried using Connection Filtering along with IMF? It can be configured to check E-mail against SPAM databases. More flexiable in management of SPAM. Connection Filtering can remove SPAM before IMF checks it.

IMF is very basic when it comes to spam filtering. You do not get anything like white-listing with the built in tool. There are various work arounds, but these are a kludge and I don't recommend them. If you want to white list then you will have to purchase an antispam application.

As for using connection filtering and blacklists, I am not a fan. With blacklists in particular I don't like the idea of someone else deciding what email I can and cannot receive. If you use a third party tool to filter messages you can often use blacklists as part of the scoring process.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.