receiving sporadic outside email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiving sporadic outside email

We aren't getting a lot of outside email and I can't figure out why. What could I look into to figure out why? I have checked my spam logs and they aren't going to spam. Is there some other way of tracking a message?

Re: receiving sporadic outside email

1. Use the ESM Message tracking - under "Tools".
    2. Check the logs of the filtering systems that the mail passes thrghou.
    3. If you got in the past an email from a specific domain - call a recipient in the other side and ask him to send you test email.
    4. Try the SMTPDiag form MS download site in order to trace meesages that send from the outside.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

It looks like they're never hitting my server because I've checked with message tracking and they don't show up. It must be somewhere in the middle...most likely at my email provider's servers or the servers I use for anti-virus, spyware, etc

It's just weird because I can send two messages from hotmail at different times and I'll only get one of them. I'm lost. It's really sporadic

Comment

May be there is someting in the subject or specific work that cause this issue.
        Check the AV and SPAM systems again and send the exact email from hotmail using the SMTPDiag.
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

OK, now they're getting here...just hours late. I'm going to try that Diag thing.

Comment

Ask you ISP about it too.......
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

I think I figured out the problem...it's getting held up at my anti-spyware, etc server(postini). Here's the header for one of the emails. I'm correct here, right? There's an hours gap between postini receiving it and my mailbox receiving it.

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
              Received: from psmtp.com ([removedIP]) by glendo.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
              Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:13:56 -0600
              Received: from source ([removedIP]) by chip8mx57.postini.com ([removedIP]) with SMTP;
              Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:13:49 PST
              Received: from MainHomePC (unverified [removedIP])
              by S4.cableone.net (CableOne SMTP Service S4) with ESMTP id 81819207
              for multiple; Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:08:36 -0700
              Last edited by noRulez43; 10th November 2006, 18:40.

Comment

Hi,

many timesI have sent tests from external sites and have them arrive in mixed order with time gaps between them, i.e. mails 1, 2, 3, 4 arriving as 1, 4, 3, and 2 hours later. So I don īt think that is really a reliable test for anything but a general perspective.
                Also, I preffer gmail to send the test mails, as it does it rather quickly and keeps the order better than others.

HTH

Comment

It turned out to be a setting that I could change within my antivirus/spam/etc server settings. They default it to only allow 5 mail messages a minute and those were being used up by spambots. After blanking out that field, everything's fine and dandy.

Comment

Working...
                  X