Recipient Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipient Policy

If an Exchange installation has domain.internal as an AD name, how do you add domain.com as the email address for everyone?

Under Recipient Policy there is an existing SMTP address of domain.internal. Do you edit this one to be domain.com or do you add another one with domain.com and make it primary?

There will be some users that will be restricted from sending / receiving internet mail. Does that matter?

How do you update the addresses for everyone?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Recipient Policy

You can do it with Recipient Policies if all the users are configured to update based on Recipient Policies. If they're not then you'll either need to configure that on each user or configure the email addresses on each user. (see pic) If you have a lot of users that you need to configure you may want to script this task.
    I should also note that changing the Recipient Policy will only add addresses to a user and not take away any from existing users.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. There are existing users, however exchange mailboxes do not exist for them yet. I wanted to update everyone at one, then have the new address follow any new users.

My understanding was that if it changes in the Recipient Policy any new user gets that as their addresses. Is that correct?

Just wanted to see if the .internal address was needed or not. Is it needed if the Recipient Policy is updated before mailboxes are made forthe users?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by windows_help View Post
        My understanding was that if it changes in the Recipient Policy any new user gets that as their addresses. Is that correct?
        Correct.

Just wanted to see if the .internal address was needed or not. Is it needed if the Recipient Policy is updated before mailboxes are made forthe users?
        You shouldn't need the .internal addresses at all. It should be safe to remove them.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If the Windows domain is .internal then do NOT remove those addresses from the user accounts. That can break things.

Also do not remove the default domain from recipient policy.

If you want to add a new domain to the Exchange server, then add it to recipient policy and make it the default, but leave the old one in place.

The simple rule is that the default domain that Exchange was installed with should NOT be removed.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
            If the Windows domain is .internal then do NOT remove those addresses from the user accounts. That can break things.

Also do not remove the default domain from recipient policy.

If you want to add a new domain to the Exchange server, then add it to recipient policy and make it the default, but leave the old one in place.

The simple rule is that the default domain that Exchange was installed with should NOT be removed.

Simon.
            Looks like I need to "hit the books" and not answer questions so rashly.

Thanks Simon.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X