dns issues with exchange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noRulez43
    started a topic dns issues with exchange?

dns issues with exchange?

" The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name Service (DNS). Please verify the email address and retry. If that fails, contact your administrator.
    <glendo.com #5.4.0>"

That is the error I get when I try to send an email to my boss (the email address I'm sending to is her home address...not internal). Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?

• Sembee
    replied
    Re: dns issues with exchange?

ISPs servers often don't require authentication as they are using the fact that you are connected to their network as enough to know that you are a legitimate user of the server. Not always the case, but more often than not.

On the email provider front - both mail and SMTP are the same machine, so it doesn't matter which you use as an address it gets there. All I am saying is that it isn't the way that I would have setup the domain.

Simon.

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

Well, it's now 10:05PM...long work day.

HOWEVER, I tried your suggestion and used my ISP's outgoing mail server and it works! I didn't even have to use authentication (is this normal or should I double check in the morning with my ISP?). I just wanted to thank Jeremy for answering my many questions (sorry) and Sambee both for coming to my rescue!

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

I will definitely call up my ISP and see if that is possible tomorrow Sembee. I'm still a little lost about what I can do to fix the DNS for our domain (glendo.com). mail.glendo.com and smtp.glendo.com do both go to our email providers server and do both have the same IP address which is why I can actually use mail.glendo.com for both incoming and outgoing mail. Are you saying it's bad that my email provider's smtp and incoming servers are the same? Or are you saying something completely different? Sorry, I am trying to wrap my mind around this. The postini must be the service that mcafee offers with "total protection for small business-advanced". I had to add those addresses to my mx records for anti-spam, etc.

One more question I have though that isn't sitting well with me. I have my user name and password that I use to get pop mail. The tech support guy told me to use that user name and password for authentication to the server. Does that make sense? I'd think there'd have to be a special user name and password with relay enabled or something like that.
    Last edited by noRulez43; 9th November 2006, 02:34.

Leave a comment:

• Sembee
    replied

When I do an nslookup on your MX records, they come up as pstmp - which is Postini. Someone is probably reselling postini to provide the antivirus/antispam scanning.

If I ping mail.glendo.com and I ping smtp.glendo.com I get a response from glendo.com and the same IP address. No doubt that will be aliased to a server at the email host.

Try using your internet providers email server instead of the email provider, if they are different. I usually suggest the internet providers SMTP server.

Simon.

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

Right now we receive our email through straight exchange. At least that's what I think is happening. It hits Jumpline(my email server), then gets forwarded to mcafee's servers for anti-virus, spy-ware and all that crap, and then comes to my server.

mail.glendo.com and smtp.glendo.com resolve to the same place? I just did a tracert on it and it resolved to s4.n57.vds2000.com [66.84.57.4], which is my email provider's mail server. I'm confused by what you mean that they resolve to glendo.com.

That actually is how I've been doing it in regards to using CEICW and then changing the authentication settings as you described.

I did confirm that they do require authentication. Also, if I don't, I get a ndr that says "no relaying".

I saw the postini when I was monitoring the emails...what is that?

Should I try to go through my isp's mail server rather than my email provider's mail server?

Leave a comment:

• Sembee
    replied

My first question is how do you receive your email? Directly on SMTP or via the POP3 connector?

The DNS for the domain "glendo.com" is in an awful state.
    mail.glendo.com and smtp.glendo.com both resolve to the same place - glendo.com which is a really bad idea.

Having a static IP address is not always a guarantee that you will be able to send email directly by DNS. What many ISPs do is just assign you an IP address from their existing range. This range is part of their dynamic IP address range. You are therefore listed by association.

As this is SBS, you should be using the wizard. Don't attempt to configure it by hand. Use the Connect to the Internet and email wizard (or whatever it is called) to set the smart host as mail.glendo.com. It may ask you for authentication details, I cannot recall.

Once the SBS Connector has been created, you can then set the authentication details. This should be the same details you would use for POP3 with the isp. That will probably be username or [email protected], depending on the ISP configuration. Make sure that if you do have to set the authentication, it is of type basic. The others will not work.

I very much doubt whether your ISP will be using TLS, most ISPs don't care.

Have you confirmed that your ISPs server does require authentication? I mean the company providing your internet connection, which may not be the same company that is hosting your domain name.

Final thought... your email is protected by Postini. Have you tried routing through their servers?

Simon.

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

Sounds good, I'll be waiting. I have switched it back to DNS and everything is working...except of course those pesky NDR's that we get because we're on some list. The reverse DNS didn't even help that issue. I guess our ip is considered dynamic even though it's static? I'm stumped on both accounts. Thanks for all your help though! You took a lot of time to try to help me and I appreciate that.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyW
    replied

Well you got me stumped. You'll have to wait for Daniel or Simon... or anyone else that knows more than me (there's plenty out there).
    You might want to remove the smarthost so the email will start going out until someone can give you direction on what to do.

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

Yeah, I did try that. I even tried entering the ip address instead. I don't get any ndr's...the server keeps trying over and over again to send the message.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyW
    replied

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
    hmmm...still no luck. Even with trying different usernames (username vs. [email protected]) and every other combination I could think of.
    Did you change the server to mail.glendo.com?

Do the NDRs always have the same error?

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

hmmm...still no luck. Even with trying different usernames (username vs. [email protected]) and every other combination I could think of.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyW
    replied

I forgot to mention that I had tried clicking on the TLS encryption with no luck. I just tried again for the heck of it and the same thing is happening. They never leave the queue but they retry every 15 minutes I believe.

Hooking up to our pop server is easy...it's just mail.glendo.com for both incoming/outgoing, then you just provide a user name and password and make sure that secure password authentication is not selected.

I have no idea what's wrong.
    For a POP account only the incoming uses the POP3 protocol. Outgoing is SMTP. That means that mail.glendo.com acts as both a POP3 server and a SMTP server. Try using mail.glendo.com instead of smtp.glendo.com.

Leave a comment:

• noRulez43
    replied

I forgot to mention that I had tried clicking on the TLS encryption with no luck. I just tried again for the heck of it and the same thing is happening. They never leave the queue but they retry every 15 minutes I believe.

Hooking up to our pop server is easy...it's just mail.glendo.com for both incoming/outgoing, then you just provide a user name and password and make sure that secure password authentication is not selected.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyW
    replied

Does this mean that I actually use my email addresses password and username to authenticate? That doesn't make sense to me. So, I could use the username and password of any email address we have with them?
    Yes. Any account that is able to relay.

update: I tried putting in smtp.glendo.com, then going to the advanced tab and putting my username and password in for authentication. The emails just kept spooling up in the queue and kept failing to send, so they would retry over and over. Is there a way to see why they failed to send?
    Judging by the error message you got I think you need to enable TLS encryption. Put a check in the TLS encryption box on the Outbound Security dialog box.

BTW - do they have any special instruction for setting up a POP account in Outlook? A lot (all) of the information needed could be gotten from them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X