dns issues with exchange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns issues with exchange?

" The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name Service (DNS). Please verify the email address and retry. If that fails, contact your administrator.
    <glendo.com #5.4.0>"

That is the error I get when I try to send an email to my boss (the email address I'm sending to is her home address...not internal). Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?

Re: dns issues with exchange?

It could be that the mail server is down...
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...ain=glendo.com
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/mail....ain=glendo.com
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am able to send and receive emails...it seems to just be that address. Also, glendo.com is my domain...not sure if that was clear in my original posting. I just checked the log, and this is what it said:

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.4.0 was generated for recipient <removed her email address> (Message-ID <[email protected] lendo.lan>). Causes: This message indicates a DNS problem or an IP address configuration problem Solution: Check the DNS using nslookup or dnsq. Verify the IP address is in IPv4 literal format. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

edit: the domain of the address I'm trying to send to is bluestemtelco.net. When I do an nslookup on that domain, it says:
      *** glendoserv.glendo.lan can't find bluestemtelco.net: Non-existent domain

Does this mean I have to go to using the smarthost option?
      Last edited by noRulez43; 7th November 2006, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
        Also, glendo.com is my domain...not sure if that was clear in my original posting.
        right, should've noticed that.

edit: the domain of the address I'm trying to send to is bluestemtelco.net. When I do an nslookup on that domain, it says:
        *** glendoserv.glendo.lan can't find bluestemtelco.net: Non-existent domain

Does this mean I have to go to using the smarthost option?
        I just checked the domain and it doesn't seem to exist. There is a bluestemtelco.com though. Check to make sure the email address is correct.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OK, now I feel like an idiot. It was in my address book as .net, but I looked at some past emails and it is, indeed, .com. Now I get this message though:

@bluestemtelco.com on 11/7/2006 9:30 AM
          There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
          <glendo.com #5.5.0 smtp;554- Please see http://www.av-mx.com/contact?flag=X4&ip=24.117.231.142>

That means that the reverse dns lookup I called in to have set up yesterday is not working, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
            That means that the reverse dns lookup I called in to have set up yesterday is not working, correct?
            It takes up to 48 hours to propagate over the entire Internet. Wait another day then try again. If this persists then contact them (http://www.av-mx.com/contact/?flag=X4&ip=24.117.231.142) and request removal from their blacklist. Actually, you may just want to do a preemptive request.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

One last question: If I were to use the smarthost deal, would I put the mail.glendo.com that I put in for pop mail as the e-mail server? The people at jumpline don't understand what I am asking when I'm asking for their e-mail server to forward mail to. Also, if I do that, is the shortest interval to send mail really 15 minutes? That would not be good.
              Last edited by noRulez43; 7th November 2006, 17:24.

Comment

You only need the smarthost for outgoing mail. You can configure this on your SMTP virtual server or if you're using an SMTP connector you can do it there. You'll need an SMTP server (like if you're setting up a POP account you need to specify an SMTP server for outgoing mail) and any credentials for access. (e.g. smpt.isp.com)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

So, I wouldn't be limited to the 15 minute delay in sending mail if I just used it for outgoing? Do I just use the CEICW to set this up? You mention configuring my smtp virtual server or smtp connector, but does the wizard do the same thing? If I have to configure it manually, are there instructions on this? To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm using an smtp connector or an smtp virtual server. I just used the CEICW to set up mail and said to send using DNS to route email.

edit: upon closer inspection, it seems CEICW set up an smtp virtual server. Is it safe to go in the properties, add the smtp server(smarthost), and leave the delivery as "always run" or would I need to change that?
                  Last edited by noRulez43; 8th November 2006, 06:10.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't know we were dealing with an SBS server. Well as a general rule, if you can configure it with the CEICW then do it. Unfortuantely I'm not too familiar with the wizard (I can't remember ever running it). If the CEICW doesn't give you the ability then what you described should work for manually setting it up.

Steven would be able to tell us the proper way with SBS.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ahhhhhhhh! I changed it to forward email to my server, and I get this back with every message I send:

The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force
                      <glendo.com #5.7.0 smtp;530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first f55sm8228294pyh - on relay of: MAIL FROM:<emailremoved>>

Comment

-Do you have an SMTP server that the ISP provides for you?
                        -Did you put in the credentials needed to use the server?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

What credentials might I need? Yes, mail.glendo.com is my smtp server.

Comment

Credentials that allow you to relay i.e. a username and password. If the ISP has there act together then they wouldn't allow an open relay. To send email you need to authenticate. If you don't know your username and password then you'll need to call your ISP and find out. You also need to know if they use TLS for the connection.(which it looks like they do)

To put in your credentials go to the properties of the:
                            -SMTP virtual server -> Delivery tab -> click Outbound Security...
                            or
                            -SMTP connector -> Advanced tab -> click Outbound Security...
                            Last edited by JeremyW; 8th November 2006, 20:15. Reason: forgot to change my "copy and paste"
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

This is the answer I got back from my email provider:

"Your email username is all you should need for credentials. The smtp service requires password authentication as well.
                              incoming mail server: mail.glendo.com
                              outgoing mail server: smtp.glendo.com"

Does this mean that I actually use my email addresses password and username to authenticate? That doesn't make sense to me. So, I could use the username and password of any email address we have with them?

update: I tried putting in smtp.glendo.com, then going to the advanced tab and putting my username and password in for authentication. The emails just kept spooling up in the queue and kept failing to send, so they would retry over and over. Is there a way to see why they failed to send?
                              Last edited by noRulez43; 8th November 2006, 19:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X