Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restorring vs. migrating - exch2k

Hi,
    What is the benefit of migrating users from an old exchange 2k system to a new one over making a backup of the containers and restoring them in the new box?

I gues maybe it avoids having a 2 hours "old" state restored, but I wonder if there is something bigger than this

Thanks in advance.

Re: Restorring vs. migrating - exch2k

I would say restoring is going to be a more pain in the a$$ than migrating. if you have the spare hardware then I would rather migrate than restore. Plus there is less downtime for your users.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi again Michael,

But -at least theretically- there shouldnīt be any differences about the usersī folders, permissions, etc. Is that correct?

TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by siko View Post
        Hi again Michael,

But -at least theretically- there shouldnīt be any differences about the usersī folders, permissions, etc. Is that correct?

TIA.
        Correct - provided permission on the parent objects are set-up correctly on the new box as well.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The major problem is the downtime.
          By doing a migration you can make the change with zero downtime to the user and zero downtime for email flow.

For Exchange to accept the restored databases you would have to use the same server name. That means some fairly brutal work to your domain removing the old server and installing the new.
          That could mean some data and settings loss - as you will not be restoring the domain information that holds some of that info - because Exchange has been removed.

It is a risk I refuse to take. I only do swing migrations. I do not do in place upgrades or backup/restore migrations. I only do forklift migrations in very rare circumstances.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

hmmm... this is starting to look bad for me...
            I am looking to create an emergency recovery path, so I am searching for what are my options not now but when one of our servers goes down (we are just seting up the second one actually).

So I was thinking about restoring exchangeīs databases from the main server to a different one, an fail over one, so to speak.

Now...
            - I canīt restore the databases unless I have the same name in SRV2,
            - but I canīt have the same name on 2 systems online,
            - and I canīt use a different name and rename upon emergency because I need it online to hold a copy of the AD (the same system acts as DC, I know itīs not the best choice but there are space constraints)...

Is this correct?
            This looks hard to overcome...

Sorry for asking so much at once.
            Thanks in advance
            Last edited by siko; 8th November 2006, 03:58. Reason: donīt mean to be lazy, so I removed the question about swin migrations as I search the forums.

Comment

Re: Restoring vs. migrating - exch2k

OMG!
              There really is no way to restore an online backup of exchange databases unless the system has the same name???

Iīve searching for hours hoping this is not the case....

If it is, it would mean that the only way I could achieve my goal is

1) to have a third box always online, acting as an ADC+GC, keeping SRV2 out of the domain without exchange installed (so promoting it later to DC is possible) with the same Name/IP than SRV1.
              2) Upon disaster, demote SRV1. uninstall exchange (*)?, move it to workgroup (*)?, delete itīs account in the second DC
              3) Plug SRV2, promote it to DC+GC, install exchange, restore databases...

(*) I donīt think I can do that if SRV1 gets really messed up...?

Not what I would call a straight path

Thanks

Comment

For those like me who had never heard of a "Forklift Migration" before:

Some very expensive alternatives require what we call a "Forklift Migration" during which all of the voice and data equipment within your company is replaced.
                Thanks to Cybarworks for the explanation.

Something new EVERY day!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

There is no quick and easy way to restore an Exchange server. Exchange is very closely tied to the active directory domain and the databases are very closely tied to the server that they are installed on.
                  That is why we make all these plans for data recovery, why there are techniques such as dial tone restore and why so many companies are making money from things like DoubleTake to replicate the data to another server.

You cannot just pick up the database from one server and use it with another, not without a lot of pain anyway.

At a very high level what I tend to suggest with a disaster recovery site is that it needs to consist of two machines...

1. A domain controller. This needs to be live and a gc.
                  2. A Exchange spec machine. This will partially built, with the Exchange media and service packs copied on the machine. In the event of a failure, it would be finished and a disaster recovery installation of Exchange carried out. Data would then be restored back in to this server from tape.

A DR site cannot be done with one machine.

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys,

I guess this is the only way to go then.

I have a couple of final questions:

Assuming I use 3 systems: SRV1 DC+GC+Exch2k // SRV2 DC+GC // SRV3 "unfinished"

if SRV1 gets totally distroyed (which is the worst case scenario Iīm triyng to cover)...

- will I be able to finish and join SRV3 as "SRV1" even if I could not demote it propperly from the domain (since it would be unrecoverable)?
                    - what does it take to make that possible? reseting the account in AD, maybe?

- given the space limitation we have here, does it sound too bad to have SRV2 in a virtual machine that gets started and synced only once a week?

thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X