• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple accounts in Exchange Server 2003

Hello everyone.
    Can someone help me with the following issue:

Assume that I have 2 email servers:
    s1-at-domain1.com(external) (which i access via POP3/SMTP)
    s2-at-domain2.com(internal)

s1 is an external account where we download our emails from a server outside our organization.
    s2 is the exchange domain we are going to use for sending emails inside our organization (intranet).

The question is how will exchange server know how to send the email.
    Lets say i want to send an email to someone-at-domain2.com, how can I tell exchange to not send it over the net and instead directly send it over the intranet.

I am also concerned about receiving emails.
    For example if someone sends me and email on the @domain1.com account (external) , can i make exchange 2003 synchronise automatically with the server
    so that I can directly download my emails from the exchange server which is much faster (instead of manually accessing the server).

Another issue arrises, if I want to send an email to someone-at-somedomain.com, how can I tell exchange to send it via the external server.

I hope what I wrote is somehow clear, I will respond to any misunderstandings.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Multiple accounts in Exchange Server 2003

Morning,

Just trying to understand why you want two servers holding mailboxes.

Why not just have the one exchange box on your internal network that deals with all mail for you domain name (Both internalls and externally).

Unless there is a specific reason it just seems like a waste of resources unless anyone can give a reason otherwise.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

No its just because this configuration already exists and I have no way of changing it at the present time.

Thanks

Comment

I think it will be easier if you just have one internal exchange box. Since you have no need for OWA just settle for the one box inside your network and open port 25 (SMTP) on your firewall. You will have to migrate all the accounts off from your 'External' server onto your internal.

It's a much easier set-up for what you require than you currently have. Once your finished with the old server feel free to send it across to me

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          I think it will be easier if you just have one internal exchange box. Since you have no need for OWA just settle for the one box inside your network and open port 25 (SMTP) on your firewall. You will have to migrate all the accounts off from your 'External' server onto your internal.

It's a much easier set-up for what you require than you currently have. Once your finished with the old server feel free to send it across to me

Michael
          I wish I had the ability to do what you stated .

Last edited by lallous; 9th November 2006, 14:13.

Comment

Working...
          X