Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failed OWA access after user migration to another domain

Hi All,

Users have been migrated from a parent domain to a child domain in a single forest. The parent domain remains as an Exchange resource domain.

After ADMT, users can access email using Outlook MAPI but OWA access failed.

I suspect the OWA failure is because users are no longer "parentdomain\domain users' members since users are now "childdomain\domain users" members.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thank you
    znme

Re: failed OWA access after user migration to another domain

I take it you have tried accessing OWA via childomain\username?

Do you use FBA (Forms Based Authentication)? If so, maybe the domain name has been hardcoded so users down have to enter the domain name. They can jus use their username. if this is the case then I'm not too sure how it would work i.e. would it use the domain name you enter or just disregard it and use the domain name hardcoded intot he web page.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

As far as I know the users authenticate using "childomain\username".

And the FBA is set as default setting i.e. the domain is not hard coded.

Thanks
      znme

Comment

Hi All,

Followup - Solution was found by my colleague. The solution is to create a new virtual directory for the child domain. Thanks.

To create virtual directories
        In Exchange System Manager, right-click the HTTP virtual server, click New, and then click Virtual Directory.

Name the virtual directory.

Note
        The name you use is important, because this is what the client must enter in their browser (for example, http://mail.microsoft.com/virtualdirectoryname). Do not use the following character sequences in the directory name because IIS blocks them:

- Period (.)

- Double period (..)

- Period and forward slash (./)

- Backslash (\)

- Percent sign (%)

- Ampersand (&)

Right-click the virtual directory just created, and then click Properties. Specify whether the directory is for access to a mailbox or a public store. If the directory is for access to a mailbox store, the SMTP domain must be specified. If the virtual directory is for access to a public folder store, select the appropriate public folder to act as the root public folder for this virtual directory.

Comment

Excellant,

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for posting the solution. Hopefully it will help someone else out sometime

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X