No announcement yet.

routing outgoing email through custom smtp server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing outgoing email through custom smtp server

I'm having trouble setting up a somewhat site-specific setup that is really out there. If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.

I'd like to use my username and password to have exchange send all outgoing email through another smtp server (specifically, the gmail server). This seems to be done through an SMTP connector -- but I just can't get it to work. Messages stay in queue, and I can't find the log (i'm new to exchange) where I can see what the exact error is.

My current setup (after trying a direct connector) is using an SSH tunnel to convince exchange to use a non-standard port. The tunnel will forward traffic directed at on port 25 to (their smtp port). I have directed the exchange connector to use, and to use TLS encryption. I think the problem is encryping the username properly. I told it to use Basic Auth, with the proper username and pass, but I dont know if there's a way to get it to authenticate properly.

Any suggestions? is there something really obvious that I'm missing here?

Re: routing outgoing email through custom smtp server

Does your ISP not provide you with an SMTP server that you can route email through? That would be the easiest solution.

Have you created an additional SMTP virtual server that is using the TLS port? If not, then you should.
    Then you create the SMTP Connector and set it to use that SMTP virtual server as the remote bridgehead. Authentication is set on the SMTP Connector.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.