Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to remove mailbox size limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unable to remove mailbox size limit

    One of my users keeps getting "The message store has reached its maximum size" I have the Use mailbox defaults unchecked. I have done the same to other users and they are fine, one user has 6.3 gig of mail. Is there somthing I am missing.

    Using
    Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003
    Last edited by tekjock; 25th October 2006, 21:33.

  • #2
    Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

    Try to change using the ADSIedit:
    http://www.petri.com/setting_mailbox...s_over_2gb.htm
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

      I did that, set all 3 of them to 3 gig, and still getting the errors.

      here is more error detail.

      In hte outlook send recive progress window it says:

      Task ' Microsoft Server' reported error (0x8004060C) : "The message store has reached its maximum size. (Then bla bla about deleting emails)

      I have set the max size, had the user log off then log on. and still gets these errors.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

        Which version of exchange are you running???

        Not to be funny but one user with 6gig mailbox wow. Our limits are 600MB and thats high.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

          Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Which version of exchange are you running???

          Not to be funny but one user with 6gig mailbox wow. Our limits are 600MB and thats high.
          Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003

          and the user w/ 6 gig of mail is our co.s legal person.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

            Originally posted by tekjock View Post
            Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003

            and the user w/ 6 gig of mail is our co.s legal person.
            Are you using standard or enterprise??

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

              Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Are you using standard or enterprise??
              well ... excuse my n00bnes here, in system manager on our exchange server, it says Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                Originally posted by tekjock View Post
                well ... excuse my n00bnes here, in system manager on our exchange server, it says Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed.

                From memory Standard edition has a 16GB limit on its message store.

                This guide should help you

                http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                  Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  From memory Standard edition has a 16GB limit on its message store.

                  This guide should help you

                  http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm
                  I glanced at it and I dont think Im conveying this clearly, I have set the limits, set them to 3 g for this user, I realy do not want to set a limit.

                  the way we normaly do things is, by default the Use mailbox defaults is checked, that limits the user to 2 gig. when a user comes to us and says that they have reached there limit, and depending on the nature of the users roll in the company, we then remove that check from the Use mailbox defaults and in the4 past that was all we did. we have 9 users who have over 2 gig of mail 2 users over 3.8 gig and 1 user at 6.3 gig. For some reason I have a feeling that ther emight be somthing else going on here.

                  EDIT:
                  Also In the mailbox store properties we do not have any limits set.

                  any thoughts
                  thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                    Originally posted by tekjock View Post
                    well ... excuse my n00bnes here, in system manager on our exchange server, it says Windows Server 2003 Standard Ed.
                    We're not talking about Windows version, look at the Exchange version.

                    wullieb1, after SP2 the default max size for the store is set to 18GB, and the link you provided will help make it as high as 75GB.
                    Cheers,

                    Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                      do you mean

                      Echange System
                      Version 6.5.7638.1

                      I got this from System Manager and about exchange system, if thats not it please let me know

                      thanks

                      Again, still new at the whole exchange thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                        Originally posted by tekjock View Post
                        In hte outlook send recive progress window it says:

                        Task ' Microsoft Server' reported error (0x8004060C) : "The message store has reached its maximum size. (Then bla bla about deleting emails)

                        I have set the max size, had the user log off then log on. and still gets these errors.
                        Is this user having emails delivered to a PST??

                        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304863

                        This outlines the problem you are experiencing???

                        Originally posted by danielp
                        We're not talking about Windows version, look at the Exchange version.

                        wullieb1, after SP2 the default max size for the store is set to 18GB, and the link you provided will help make it as high as 75GB.
                        Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was 16GB in Exchange 2000. Reminder need to get out of that mode.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                          Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          Is this user having emails delivered to a PST??

                          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304863

                          This outlines the problem you are experiencing???
                          No it is to a OST file, we typicly have the Use Cached Exchange Mode checked off. and up till now this is the first issue we have had.

                          I will DEFINETLY update office, I know alot of our users have office 2003 but not all have SP2. I will have to do that in the AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                            Tekjock, I have just used Mr Calculator and according to your figures (assuming I read them correctly) you have 31.9GB of mail on your Exchange Server. I am wondering if the mail has been split up between Private and Public Store as with SP2 on Exchange Standard as that is the only way I can see that much data being retained (18GB being the default for SP2).

                            And don't forget Wullies link to increase the Stores limit.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Unable to remove mailbox size limit

                              Originally posted by tekjock View Post
                              No it is to a OST file, we typicly have the Use Cached Exchange Mode checked off. and up till now this is the first issue we have had.

                              I will DEFINETLY update office, I know alot of our users have office 2003 but not all have SP2. I will have to do that in the AM.

                              I'm not sure i understand how you manage to get delivery to an OST.

                              As far as i'm concerned an OST file is your OFFLINE store and is only populated when you allow ofline files.

                              Just for your own record though 2GB is the MAXIMUM size of a PST or an OST file. I think this can be worked around in office 2003.

                              I don't know if this will help.

                              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X