Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I add a new Exchange Server that operates independently of an existing Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I add a new Exchange Server that operates independently of an existing Server

How do I add a new Exchange Server that operates independently of an existing Server in the forest

here's the scenario:

I have and existing forest/domain (lets call it D/F1.com) and I have added a new domain/tree in the forest (lets call it ND1.com)

I already have an existing Exchange server on D/F1.com and I want to add an exchange server that will service ND1.com exclusively. I have installed Exchange on the new server but am having difficulty keeping them as separate as I would like. I created a new Administration Group for this server but it will not let me create public folders for this administration group, it only displays the public folders for the first administration group when one of the users on the new exchange server logs in.

Also when I log in to the ND1.com domain it asks for credentials from the D/F1.com domain when I launch outlook and I was hoping to keep them separate.

What I was trying to accomplish:

I would eventually like to break this new domain off complete with Exchange. it is a startup company that will eventually (hopefully) go off to be on their own but in the meantime they need to share office resources (shared drives, printers, etc...) on the D/F1.com domain.

This domain has not been put into use so if the only option is a ground up rebuild of the new domain or a complete reinstall of exchange then that is possible.

any suggestions would be appreciated on how to accomplish this, I am not sure if my issue is with Exchange or AD at this point.

any input/help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: How do I separate two Exchange servers...

If they are hopefully going to split off you would then need to migrate everything to a new domain. Seems a better solution would be to install the new domain in a new forest, install exchange in a new organization, and then create a trust between the two forests so you can share resources.

IMHO
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: How do I add a new Exchange Server that operates independently of ...

When you install an EX box onto a server that's a part of your domain or even a part of another domain in the same forest, it will automatically be added to the existing EX Org. You cannot change that, so in order to separate it completely you will need to create a new AD Forest.

If you keep it in the same forest/EX Org you will need to create separate GALs, separate Offline Address Lists, and new PF Trees, but these will not be viewable via Outlook. The only way to view these alternate PF Trees will be via OWA.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: How do I add a new Exchange Server that operates independently

Thanks Guys,

I was afraid of that. but I guess the best way to eventually split them off is to start them out that way.

I appreciate the time and effort!

Comment

Working...
        X