Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure External e-mais

Dear all,

I have configured windows server 2000 as DC and Exchange server 2000 on same computer. Both are working well and with internal mails also, now I need to connect with our external mails those are in our registered domain for web browsing like www.abc.com and in our e-mail accounts.

How can I configure or connect our external mails through our exchange server to client computer for internal mails.

Best regards,

Ahsan
    Regards,
    Ahsan
    I want to build my knowledge.

Re: How to configure External e-mais

Hello,
    See this: http://www.christensen-software.com/...hange_2000.htm
    Last edited by netxt; 14th October 2006, 21:06.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Dear Sir,

I am really grateful for your kind reply and thanking too. I have gotten your mentioned link and applied on my server, it is working and client computer only sending mails but not receiving mails in client computer.

Best regards,

Ahsan
      Regards,
      Ahsan

Comment

what mail service are you talking about... external pop3 mails? hosted exchange server?

if you just have a domain name... you have to configure your MX records... your ISP can do this
        Last edited by yaniv; 16th October 2006, 11:39.
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

Originally posted by Ahsan
          Dear Sir,

I am really grateful for your kind reply and thanking too. I have gotten your mentioned link and applied on my server, it is working and client computer only sending mails but not receiving mails in client computer.

Best regards,

Ahsan
          Do you have the relevant MX records setup at your ISP?? Please note that these records can take up to 36 hours to propogate throughout the internet.

You need these records to enable external users to get the IP address of you mail server. Typically this should be behind your corporate firewall and will have port 25 forwarded to the relevant server.

Comment

sir,
            Q-1. What is MX records? Please more detail for MX records.

Q-2. In my Earlier reply that our client computers can send and receive internal mails well and sending to external e-mail addresses only, through exchanger server that I have configured, but they canít receive any e-mail from external e-mail addresses.
            I did not configure any POP3 settings during configuration of exchange server, but SMTP I did.

Regards,

Ahsan
            Regards,
            Ahsan

Comment

Hi

for MX record i have this answer...

you need to point your domain MX record to your exchange server ip... or to the server that scans your mail... in short mx to your exchange ip (real ip) talk to your ISP

and here the wikipedia answer

MX record
              An MX record or Mail exchange record is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System (DNS) specifying how Internet e-mail should be routed. MX records point to the servers to send an e-mail to, and which ones it should be sent to first, by priority.
              When an e-mail message is sent through the Internet, the sending mail transfer agent makes a DNS query requesting the MX record for the recipient's domain name, which is the portion of the e-mail address following the "@". This query returns a list of host names of mail exchange servers accepting incoming mail for that domain, together with a preference number. The sending agent then attempts to establish an SMTP connection to one of these servers, starting with the one with the smallest preference number, delivering the message to the first server with which a connection can be made. If no MX records were present, a second request is made for the A record of the domain instead.

and to question number 2 if you did not configure your MX record your exchange will not receive mails that are send to your domain...

DNS servers in the world are looking for you domain mx records so they know where to forward your mails [email protected]
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
              X