Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing our external IP address- how will this affect Exchange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing our external IP address- how will this affect Exchange?

We are changing over to a new ISP along with new DSL technology and have been told that once this is complete, we will be assigned different static IP addresses.

I know I have to update the A & MX records held by our current ISP (we use their Domain Hosting for our A & MX records- I will not be changing this until some time later).

Once we switch over to our new ISP's internet network, I will immediately change the A & MX records, but is there anything I need to change on the Exchange server?

Exchange Server 2003 V6.5 Build 7638.2 SP2)
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Changing our external IP address- how will this affect Exchange?

Is your Exchange server connected directly to the Internet (does it have an ISP supplied IP) or does it all run through a router with port forwarding etc enabled?
    Last edited by biggles77; 13th October 2006, 05:14.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils
      I know I have to update the A & MX records held by our current ISP
      No need to change the MX if it points to the A. If it point to an IP address then yes, you need to change it.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Biggles77. Our Exchange server, from what I know, has its data routed to it by the Cisco ASA 5510 firewall which has the external IP address 202.76.169.58

This IP will change when we go to the new network. I presume from your answer that if the Cisco is reprogrammed with the new IP address then it should all be fine?

JeremyW. I'll check that out.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Ok, out on a limb here not knowing Cisco, but all things being equal, as long as you change the present static IP to your new static IP all should work.

If your data is routed to your present static IP from another source then that pointer will also need to be changed to reflect the new static IP. (I suspect that it is being routed by an MX Record, which of course will need to be changed to the new IP. A Record as well.) Got any CNAMEs registered that might need to be changed?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. Looks like it's pretty much drilled down to just the A & MX records and the routing policy of the Cisco to the Exchange server.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

Just remember it takes 24 to 36 hours for changes in DNS to replicate througout the internet.

Why not before the changeover add an entry into DNS with a higher MX preference than your original. What will happen is if the server can't get to the first server then it will retry using the nex tin the line. (Thats is if i'm remembering that part right).

That means that by the time you change over it will be replicated and you SHOULD be able to just change the IP address of the Cisco router.

Comment

COOOOL! Thanks. I always wondered what those numbers were for.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

routing cost /me shakes head in bewilderment. Wonder + = wonder no more!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X