Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my Outlook and Exchange Email addresses be the same?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my Outlook and Exchange Email addresses be the same?

I have a MS Exchange 2000 Server and 16 desktops in the office. I am running various versions of Outlook, from Office 98 to XP. My problem is with the respond to address when someone sends an internet email (POP3) from Outlook and also when someone sends an intraoffice email through Exchange. The Outlook is using the Exchange address as the respond to address and they are ending up in my catchall for wrong email addresses. It has also happened when someone sends an intraoffice (Exchange email) and it gets sent through the POP3 account instead of staying in Exchange.

If I make my POP3 and Exchange addresses the same, will that solve my problem? I have tried swapping the "process first" order in the email set up, but it may solve one side of the problem, but not the other. I did not seem to have this problem until I added 7 MS XP Office machines, but now it is happening on all of the machines.

Re: Can my Outlook and Exchange Email addresses be the same?

I'm only familiar with Exchange 2003 but I'm wondering why you need a pop account configured as well as an Exchange account? Is the pop account for a different email address? Why would you not use the same account for both intra- and extra- communication.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

When our server was set up initially by someone else, he set up the Exchange Addresses (intraoffice) one way and the Outlook Addresses (out of office on the internet which I am calling POP3 addresses) another way. So my Exchange address is [email protected] and my internet email address is terre @rsulaw.com. The Exchange addresses are intraoffice only and we share calendars and schedule meetings and can communicate with each other even if the internet access is not working. And of course the other is our internet email address to the rest of the world. When I set up mail accounts in Outlook, one is an Exchange Account and one is a POP3 account. I have set the reply address as the internet email address, but some reply emails are still coming back to the Exchange Address and therefore going to my catchall account which receives any addresses to ****@rsulaw.com that are not valid addresses.

I'm not sure why it was initially set up this way, but my question is if I make both addresses the same, will that resolve my problem and regardless of whether it tries Exchange first or internet email first, will the email will go and the reply address will be the same so hopefully when someone replies it will get back to the right place.

Comment

If you add the second address as an additional smtp email address under the users properties in ADUC this should work.
        Set one of the addresses as the primary address and set all of the email to use the exchange account only. This way exchange will accept both addresses [email protected] and [email protected] and you wont need a pop3 account.
        All of the email will go to your exchange account provided that your MX record is pointing to your exchange server.
        Best Regards

Peter C
        MCSE

Comment

Originally posted by Peterc
          If you add the second address as an additional smtp email address under the users properties in ADUC this should work.
          Set one of the addresses as the primary address and set all of the email to use the exchange account only. This way exchange will accept both addresses [email protected] and [email protected] and you wont need a pop3 account.
          All of the email will go to your exchange account provided that your MX record is pointing to your exchange server.
          Well this would be ideal. But instead of going to the properties of each user I'd just change the recipient policy (I think the syntax is something like %[email protected] for the "given name" a.k.a. first name).
          But we don't know if this setup is feasible. Can the server handle it? Can you do away with your pop service and point the MX record to your exchange server? Do you have a static IP? etc...
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
          X