Clear All

• Numberous Password Promts in Outlook 2003

Exchange 2003 SP2 on Win 2003 SP1
    DCs with Win 2003 SP1
    XP Clients with SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2
    NO RPC over Http(s)
    Cached Mode
    Lan and VPN connections

Many of my users, even me, are experiencing a problem in which Outlook will repeatedly ask the user for a password. Sometimes, it will take the password and connect, and sometimes, it won't accept the password, and will just keep asking, or force the user offline.

Usually, a network repair option in the Network Connections window will take care of it... sometimes, a reboot is necesary.

I cannot detect any major network problems. In fact, it's really the only issue our network seems to have.

Any ideas of where I should begin looking?

Re: Numberous Password Promts in Outlook 2003

have a look at this http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=5710 maybe it will help you

i think i also see this happen if the self permission on the mailbox is not set corectly
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

FYI - I think I found the culprit. (Or at least a workaround).

Users would usually find different password prompts. One would be server1, server2, or server3.

(I have two directory servers, and 1 mail server).

To see which was one was not connecting, I would simply look at the login box that appeared. It would say the server name.

Another thing to look at, is the connection status box. (Shift-CTRL click the outlook icon in the tray). It will show which server cannot authenticate.

Well, I tried and I tried, but couldn't figure out why it would connect to some, and not the other.

I started to ping the servers, and realized that one of the servers, say server1, was showing an totally weird IP address completely different of the actual IP address the server uses.

I have not figured out why that is happening - but it diffidently is causing the problem!!!!!!!!

FIX for NOW:

Hard code the correct IP address in the HOSTS file. (Google around for this info).

Worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What sort of IP address is it displaying - is it an apipa such as 169.254 or it is something else.

Perhaps your network card is configured incorrectly.

If there is anything else we can help you with then let us know

Thanks

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It was actually 192.168.234.235

The actual IP address it should be talking to is 10.10.0.10

I have no idea where that came from. Our DNS seems to work fine... I am still digging into that one.

All I know, is that I am so thankful for that HOSTS file! It has saved me many times!

Comment

Are you using DHCP to allocate the server it's IP address??

If It's an exchange server I would definately recommend you setting it to a static IP address and then do an 'ipconfig /registerdns' to update DNS with it's new A host record

Hope this helps

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You may have a rogue DHCP server on your LAN
              It could be a router or similar equipment with built in DHCP
              Is could be a user messing around with Internet Connection Sharing

Either way, deal with it and get your servers to fixed IPs -- save a lot of grief!

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Great ideas guys.

The servers do have static IPs. Clients get IP and DNS from 2003 active directory.

I just checked the DNS server. Yep, it had two A records for server1 of 192.168.234.235 and 10.10.0.10.

I have no idea how that happened. It's gone, I will be monitoring it to see what happens.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

However, we'de appreciate it if you could grant some reputation points to the user that helped you. Just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                  X