moving from sbs exchange to real exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving from sbs exchange to real exchange

I have a SBS 2003 server sitting behind a Cisco router, port 25 is forwarded to the ip of the SBS server.

I need to move just the Exchange function to a seperate server.
    The SBS server will remain, as it will still be providing DHCP, File and Print, DNS services etc.

I have a shiny new server, license and media for 2003 r2 server standard and 2003 exchange standard.

Can anyone pass on any tips for this process?
    Not really sure where to start.

Should I build the new 2003 r2 server and join to the the domain, and then install Exchange?
    How do I move the mailboxes and make users out look point to them?

Re: moving from sbs exchange to real exchange

I've never done it so i'm only guessing at what you need to do.

Install Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 onto new server.
    Replicate Public Folders.
    Transfer mailboxes.
    Turn off Exchange Services on SBS box for a while.

Now i think the big problem will com when you try to remove Exchnage from the SBS server as it is a DC.

Comment

Pardon the ignorance -

Would you move or replicate the public folders?

I take it PFMIGRATE can be used to do this? used something like this?
      PFMIGRATE.WSF /S:SourceServer /TestinationServer

What do you use to move mailboxes? And then repoint users Outlook clients to the new location?

What is the best way to turn off exchange services on the SBS box? just stop the services?

What are my options around forwarding port 25? I guessI just have to pick the point in time when the new server is ready to accept mail, and change the forward....

Comment

Particularly intnereseted in any "gotchas" in this process.
        I don't have a test environment or any way of "practising" this, so I am interested in anybodys experience - in any kind of Exchange migration.

Comment

ok, so what is the best way to repoint outlook clients to the new server?
          The new exchange server will have a different host name, differnet IP address of course.....

Comment

Maybe Swing Migration can do that but I don't know. Steven will know.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I never had to change anything when i moved the mailboxes.

I think as long as the old server is still live it will automatically go to the new server for its mailbox. This is why it is best to leave the server live for at least a week before decommissioning it.

As for the Public Folders you replicate them.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                Maybe Swing Migration can do that but I don't know.
                Of course one of the best ways to replace the SBS server with normal Win2K3/Exchange is to use Swing Migration. Your server retains the same name /AD and the workstations retain the same profiles.

BTW I resent the title of this thread because of all the components of SBS, Exchange IS real Exchange!!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
                  Of course one of the best ways to replace the SBS server with normal Win2K3/Exchange is to use Swing Migration. Your server retains the same name /AD and the workstations retain the same profiles.

BTW I resent the title of this thread because of all the components of SBS, Exchange IS real Exchange!!

Real Exchange has a POP Connector. Now which one has that again???
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What is a swing migration?

I will be adding a new server - and keeping the old server, minus its exchange functionality. The old server will continue to provide AD, File, Print, DHCP services etc.

So I won't be able to keep the same server name etc....

Comment

We shouldn't call it a swing, but a half swing. A full swing is where the data is moved to another machine so that the original can be rebuilt and/or upgraded. You then move the data back - like a swing motion.

A (half) swing migration is basically install Exchange, configure replication of public and system folders, then wait a few days for the data to go across.

You then use the move mailbox wizard to move the mailboxes to the new server.
                      Leave Exchange on the SBS server for now - as the clients login for the first time after doing the move they will be redirected to the new server automatically.

Furthermore, if you leave the Exchange server functionality on the SBS server, you can continue to use the User Creation wizard to create users. They will initially be created with their mailbox on the SBS server. Then use the move mailbox wizard to move them to the new server. You then retain all the new user functionality, including the automatic setup of Outlook on their machine when you use the add computer wizard.

However, you may want to follow the MS article on removing the first Exchange 2003 server up to but excluding removing Exchange: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822931

I will be naughty and post a link to my article on swing migration: http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                      X