No announcement yet.

2 Exchange 2003 boxes that won't talk to each other.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Exchange 2003 boxes that won't talk to each other.

I am migrating Exchange 2003 to new hardware and my production server will not sync to my new server. Let's call production server A and the new box server B.

Server A was the only Exchange box in our org. I brought up server B to the same version and patch level in the same org. I created all of my PF replicas and then moved my 1st mailbox to the new server. The folder structure and content will not sync and if I send an email from server A to the mailbox on server B it sits in queue and gives a "Delay" NDR or either it just times out with an NDR. I can see all the messages in queue and see the outbound replication messages, but why the two servers won't email each other is new to me.

I have brought 2003 boxes up in an all 2000 environment before and have never had this issue. And now that the 2003 box is here i am having it. Go figure!!

Re: 2 Exchange 2003 boxes that won't talk to each other.

OK not bad! I figured I would post the above to try to take a shortcut. It turns out that I screwed up, but I at least feel good that I hunted it down. The end result is that it was an easy fix and now I learned something too!

I disabled the DHCP service on box B. Well if you disable DHCP even though this box has a static IP it still needs DHCP to register the DNS. So basically I enabled the DHCP service and then started said service and like magic everything worked perfect after I registed this server B in DNS!!!

Very simple fix, but a mistake I shouldn't have made!!!

Thanks for looking.

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services